Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New LV Saws Are Here!

New LV Saws Are Here!

Just spotted this while killing time at work!
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...70&cat=51&ap=1
    Maurice

Hey. So is the Norris wooden plane kit: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...79&cat=51&ap=1

Cool. But i will wait....I have spent waaaayyyyy to much money on tools lately.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Yup...saw that too. I would normally have waited for these saws (at least the rip version), but lucked out on a nice one from Ron Bontz, and well...I'm not looking back! Two totally different leagues of saws, but I'm holding.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Hey. So is the Norris wooden plane kit: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...79&cat=51&ap=1

Cool. But i will wait....I have spent waaaayyyyy to much money on tools lately.
    Hummm, I wonder if this can be adapted to already made wooden planes. One of the issues with wooden planes is getting the iron adjusted and this would make it easier. I have a couple of wooden planes that I'd like to modify.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Pretty good price on the saws...basically you get the pair for the price of one Lie-Nielsen, and less than the price of a Wenzloff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    Pretty good price on the saws...basically you get the pair for the price of one Lie-Nielsen, and less than the price of a Wenzloff.
    Wonder I they planned it that way?

Ordered my set! Less than my Lie Nielsen tenon saw by itself.

It can easily be changed by filing, but my only quibble with these is the rather relaxed rake, similar to other LV saws. That would feel painfully slow compared to the rake on all my other rip saws. But I'm still thinking I might bite, but I'll probably miss the intro price unless I can get some more overtime.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm. Looks very much like a Bontz saw with a "plastic" spine. (Yes, yes, I know- it's some sort of polymer with metal powder in it, but still it looks like black plastic.) Don't get me wrong- I love the look. Very sexy. I do not accuse but sure looks influenced by Mr. Bontz's saws.

I find the dovetail saws a bit flexy. I hope such is not the case with the tenon saws. I am glad they made it in crosscut. I will probably spring for one and check it out but not until after we finish closing on the new house and shop.

As as for the plane hardware kit, it seems you could use it to make an infill plane and just add a brass or bronze cap iron. Am I wrong?

Actually, I believe it is influenced by a Disston No. 9 backsaw.....just without the Regan patent tote.

no9saw.jpg
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    lucked out on a nice one from Ron Bontz, and well...I'm not looking
    You sound like you're married to the saw!

Seriously though, what did you get and what about a picture?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Well, I've been putting off getting tenon saws since I found out that these were being designed. I got the set today and they are exactly what you'd expect if you have other LV saws. Screws holding saw plate in front have split nuts, which is not mentioned on the website, if anyone cares. $175 intro price for the pair was hard to resist, since I knew I'd be getting both eventually anyway.

Congrats Marko, you're probably the first person to own a production version.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Living 15 minutes from a Lee Valley store is a curse I do not wish on anyone.

I love LV and am sure performance-wise they hold their own against a LN, but damn are they ugly lol

Peter