Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New LV Saws Are Here!

1. I usually wear 2XL gloves. My hand measures 4 1/8" across the center of my palm.

My hand is just under 4" (standard size as per Badaxe) and I found the dovetail saws too uncomfortable to hold. I also assumed that these new handles would be a tad larger.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    Marko, could you do me a favore and measure the handle for me? I would like to know the distance between the horns at the top and bottom. Thanks, John....
    Here is picture of handle diagram that comes with the saw. I assume LV will shortly post the PDF on their website as they do with all other tools.

If it looks wavy it is because I retrieved crumpled paper from garbage, I can assure you sides of the handle are flat and parallel.

Judging by complaints about the size, LV should consider selling a large size handle as an option. I find it about right, and my hand is 3 7/8" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    If the major issue is the horn-to-horn space, looks like there's still enough meat in there to open it a bit. Are these handles removable from the molded spine like the open-tote handles were?
    They are removable and a little work with rasp/spokeshave would easily customize it for wider hands, I'd think. I don't know what you'd refinish it with easily to blend with existing finish, lacquer of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    this is possibly the most petty gripe I could possibly offer, but the brass screws on the spine don't have the slots set parallel.
    I'm sure it's easy to adjust, but argh. It'd be super sweet if the screw slots were set parallel to the spine on the rip saw and perpendicuar to the spine on the crosscut so you could know at a moment's glance when you grab one of two otherwise identical saws out a till where you can't see the teeth.
    Just carve "RIP" or "X" on the spine (with a dull screwdriver, preferably )

It looks like a little reshaping or a whole new handle wouldn't be too hard. I wouldn't let that stop me if I otherwise liked the saw. But it would be nice for LV to offer a larger handle option (for all of their saws).

Marko, thank you for this. It is a great help.... John
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    Here is picture of handle diagram that comes with the saw. I assume LV will shortly post the PDF on their website as they do with all other tools.

If it looks wavy it is because I retrieved crumpled paper from garbage, I can assure you sides of the handle are flat and parallel.

Judging by complaints about the size, LV should consider selling a large size handle as an option. I find it about right, and my hand is 3 7/8" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Millington View Post
    I usually wear 2XL gloves. My hand measures 4 1/8" across the center of my palm.
    Hi Tom -

Go ahead and have at 'em with a rasp/files... I'll make sure you get full credit for a return if you still can't get a comfortable fit. There is enough "extra" wood on the handle that you should be able to shape it to fit.

It's tough to nail a "one size fits all" in any handle shape/design. In some of our products (spokeshaves for one) we offer handle interface kits to allow people to make their own.

Adding additional sizes would increase costs substantially. In addtion to multiplying the inventory, it would increase unit prices, carrying costs, and significantly increase returns/shipping costs - something we see in any product that has "sizes". Standard return rates for clothing (for example) are 30% throiugh the mail... tough to swallow when we refund shipping and pay the return postage.

It's been my experience that woodworkers are really reluctant to modify the handles/grip surfaces on the tools they buy. From a manufacturing standpoint - it's one of the reasons we choose wood! Wood is not a "good" material to manufacture with - highly variable, difficult to finish, difficult to hold tolerances on, and more expensive than alternatives.

I would have no problem taking returns of a tool where people made an honest effort to try and keep the product by trying a modification of the wooden parts.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, what kind of finish is used on the handles? - im going to order and just incase will customize to my liking...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tekin View Post
    Rob, what kind of finish is used on the handles? - im going to order and just incase will customize to my liking...
    Hi Mike -

Finish spec is:

1) PART TO BE SANDED TO 120 GRIT AND LIGHTLY SANDED BETWEEEN SEALER AND LACQUER COATS.
    2) PART SHALL BE SEALED WITH STANDARD SPRAY SEALER,(OR APPROVED EQUIVALENT).SEALER SHALL BE
    SMOOTH, UNIFORM OVER SEALED SURFACE AND SHALL NOT LIFT THE FINAL LACQUER COATING. (OR
    APPROVED EQUIVALENT).
    3) PART SHALL BE FINISHED WITH A MINIMUM OF 2 COATS OF SATIN MATTE LACQUER, (OR APPROVED
    EQUIVALENT). LACQUER COATING SHALL SHOW NO TENDENCY OF SELF-LIFTING.

Most likely a solvent based cellulose lacquer, but am seeing if we can nail it down further....

Cheers -

Rob

I just came back from my local LV store. I went to buy my wife a birdfeeder, but after looking at these pair of saws and trying them out in the store, I caved and got the pair. They're great! (I also got the birdfeeder..)

I just got my pair of saws in the mail today, and am somewhat disappointed. The handle on the rip saw does not fit the saw very well. There's a gap of about 3/16" or so on the bottom. It's very noticeable and really detracts from the appearance of the saw. It also looks like sawdust could get in there easily and cause the post to rust potentially.

Here's what I'm talking about:

IMG_20131213_204220_841.jpg

The crosscut saw has a bit of a gap, but nowhere near as bad:
    IMG_20131213_204228_682.jpg

I thought I could just tighten the handle, since the nut was finger loose out of the box, but that didn't help at all. There's not much flex where it attaches to the sawplate.

Did you try contacting LV first?

LV will make it right. Just get in touch with them.
    Paul

This is mostly a saw post but did anyone see the price on that plane kit! A Norris adjuster, blade, knobs and all. For $40, that's a great price. Can't make them for that.
    The Plane Anarchist