Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New LV Saws Are Here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    I got the set today and they are exactly what you'd expect if you have other LV saws.
    Can we assume that is a good thing? Are they flexy? That is my concern.

I'm no expert so take this for little it is worth. I only used them for a few minutes to rip and crosscut some ~ 2x5" big leaf maple. Didn't feel flexy. Of course they are going to be somewhat flexible at that plate size, but while using it there was a secure and solid feeling, not at all wobbly. I found them as easy to use as LV carcass saws - very user friendly. I got the toe stuck once once due to my own carelessness - pulled it out all the way by accident and jammed it back in - and results were a lot more dramatic than using a carcass saw, again due to much more plate being exposed in front, but no permanent damage. I never used high end modern boutique saws so I can't compare with that.
    Last edited by Marko Milisavljevic; 12-10-2013 at 2:12 AM.

Hilton, I'll post a picture in another thread, as I want to keep this one focused on Rob's fine products. I'll try to get that up today, if possible.
    Maurice

I am a little concerned with he handle. Honestly if this set came out last year I would have purchased it in a heartbeat. But I ran out of time to wait and bought a LN 16"rip saw and am very happy with it. I need a cc version and was going to pull the trigger on the tapered cc LN has. I went to one of their shows and it has a tiny handle on it that hurt my hand. So I passed on it and now am wondering about the size of this one. I guess I could always buy it and if it doesn't feel right I can sell it after the intro and probably get most of my money back. I wish we had a LV near us like Marko did. Yes I would be broke but what the hell .

Marko, could you do me a favore and measure the handle for me? I would like to know the distance between the horns at the top and bottom. Thanks, John....

John, Lee Valley's customer service is top notch. If you are not happy with it, they will take the saw back and refund you your money.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    I am a little concerned with he handle. Honestly if this set came out last year I would have purchased it in a heartbeat. But I ran out of time to wait and bought a LN 16"rip saw and am very happy with it. I need a cc version and was going to pull the trigger on the tapered cc LN has. I went to one of their shows and it has a tiny handle on it that hurt my hand. So I passed on it and now am wondering about the size of this one. I guess I could always buy it and if it doesn't feel right I can sell it after the intro and probably get most of my money back. I wish we had a LV near us like Marko did. Yes I would be broke but what the hell .

Marko, could you do me a favore and measure the handle for me? I would like to know the distance between the horns at the top and bottom. Thanks, John....
    John -

Buy with confidence, return without guilt. That's what we're here for.

Rob

If the major issue is the horn-to-horn space, looks like there's still enough meat in there to open it a bit. Are these handles removable from the molded spine like the open-tote handles were?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Rob,
    I am curious about the production of the saws. They've been in the works for a bit now and if I remember correctly they were giving you a bit of trouble in early stages. I'm curious as to what kind of issues you had, if they were in the design or something else. The reason I ask, is, as mentioned by others, I'd be tempted to file a more aggressive rake on the rip saw. Is this going to cause issues? Are you happy with the way they turned out and perform then? I figured you wouldn't send them out if you weren't, but am curious about the earlier trepidations. If you can't or don't want to say I understand completely and I'm not trying to put you on the spot or anything. I'm ordering them one way or another. Thanks,

Adam
    USMC '97-'01

Thanks, Rob, I am fully aware of your over the top great policies. And if my hand was to big for the handle I would not have guilt returning it as I do believe that would fall into the acceptable reasons. I just am hoping to avoid the issue if it is going to need to be returned. If I do not get an answer to the measurements I am going to buy it as I have been anxiously awaiting it like many others here. Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    John -

Buy with confidence, return without guilt. That's what we're here for.

Rob

Yes, that was the issue with the LN I looked at. For some reason they used a different handle on the tapered cc saw then on the tapered or non tapered tenon saw. Yes there seemed to be meat on the handle to modify it an the LN as well and that will be an option for either LN or LV if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    If the major issue is the horn-to-horn space, looks like there's still enough meat in there to open it a bit. Are these handles removable from the molded spine like the open-tote handles were?

this is possibly the most petty gripe I could possibly offer, but the brass screws on the spine don't have the slots set parallel.
    I'm sure it's easy to adjust, but argh. It'd be super sweet if the screw slots were set parallel to the spine on the rip saw and perpendicuar to the spine on the crosscut so you could know at a moment's glance when you grab one of two otherwise identical saws out a till where you can't see the teeth.

Anyone know what the screws are for? Is the saw plate removable?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    this is possibly the most petty gripe I could possibly offer, but the brass screws on the spine don't have the slots set parallel.
    I'm sure it's easy to adjust, but argh. It'd be super sweet if the screw slots were set parallel to the spine on the rip saw and perpendicuar to the spine on the crosscut so you could know at a moment's glance when you grab one of two otherwise identical saws out a till where you can't see the teeth.
    I bet you could adjust this yourself once you owned them.

And, to Chris Friesen's question, I don't know, but I suspect that LV found they needed the extra grip out there on the end of the back.

John, I just called CS and the nice lady said that the handle wood is exactly the same as all their other saws. If they fit, you'll be fine.

My dilemma is that the saw handles are too small for me - the bottom of the horn digs into my hand. I really want the saws though.

On the open-handled saws, it looks really easy to make new handles from scratch - at least, a whole lot easier than slotting and mortising for a back and such as with a traditional handled-saw. Heck, if nothing else, popping a different-colored wood handle on the saw could help identify rip and cross-cut at a glance.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice