Thread: Polishing Metal

Polishing Metal

Just to save me too much time experimenting on alternative methods what would you guys do to polish up the back and saw plate on one of these http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/produc ... tenon-saws ? They are quite rough a feel like they will need some reasonable elbow grease.

Note: I respect the fact this may not be essential and may be viewed as a waste of time by some, that said I do want to improve the feel and look of the tool to suit my needs.

Thanks in advance!

I would just work up through fine grits of sandpaper. I think I polished the backs on my shop made saws up to 600 starting from 220, which gave a semi polished semi matte finish. If they are really rough start coarser.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Ditto to what chris says, though I didn't go beyond 220 in my case, I was just careful to make sure the scratches were all running in the same direction.

If you go beyond a matte finish, the saw will show every fingerprint and ding or touch of any other object. Sort of the same case as plane sides and bottoms.

If I can get at it well, I just like to draw-file it. If you keep the file clean, you can a reasonably nice finish off a nice, fine, single-cut file that way, and it's quicker than sanding.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Getting the saw plate to a mirror finish certainly had its advantages especially on the left side if you're right handed.

What about one of those polishing mops that you can chuck into a (gosh) powered drill?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

There have been several reports of success using bunched up aluminium foil and metal polish. Not tried it myself, but the photos are compelling.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I totally missed that we were talking about the plate as well - I was just thinking the brass back.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Derek beat me to the polish with alum. foil trick. I use MAAS polish with crumpled foil, then wax.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks everyone. Will post some pics when done.

I didn't have as much success with the aluminum foil and polish trick. It did help a lot, but didn't produce the same results some have posted. Maybe I started with a worse plate, and maybe I just need more elbow grease. I was using Flitz polish if I remember right. It helps, but it isn't what I would really call polished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    I didn't have as much success with the aluminum foil and polish trick. It did help a lot, but didn't produce the same results some have posted. Maybe I started with a worse plate, and maybe I just need more elbow grease. I was using Flitz polish if I remember right. It helps, but it isn't what I would really call polished.
    Use Autosol. Big difference over Flitz. Start with a clean saw plate(no rust).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Use Autosol. Big difference over Flitz. Start with a clean saw plate(no rust).
    Yeah, I'm going to try that. I didn't have any at the time, but I do now.