Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vanity Mirror

Vanity Mirror

This is the Mirror half of a Vanity project I'm presently finishing up. I'll post pictures of the table that sits under this mirror soon. The mirror hangs on a steel French cleat. It is roughly two feet by four feet. Woods include maple, walnut, apple, and colorful bits of pink ivory, vera, osage orange, and ebony. I understand it will not be everyone's taste. Thanks for looking.

I dig it, Sean. And I'm probably in the "not my style" camp but its certainly beautiful work and I love your creativity. Great job. I think the crest at the top is brilliant.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    I dig it, Sean. And I'm probably in the "not my style" camp but its certainly beautiful work and I love your creativity. Great job. I think the crest at the top is brilliant.
    I concur, it's not quite my style, but it beautifully crafted and finished nonetheless. I look forward to seeing the table.

Beautiful work!

Very creative design Sean. I really like this piece. I'd be very interested to see what the elements looked like in their natural state if you have the before pictures. I also very interested to see the vanity that goes with it. What is the finish?

First, thanks, Bobby, Andrew, and Brad!

Pat, I don't think I have any pictures of the raw boards. Think 8/4 natural edge often from bent trunks or large curving branches. I tend to get ideas following grain and refine with drawknives and shaves.

I tend to like to finish with shellac or varnish (like P&L 38), but here I use shellac to start - sort of seal ad fill the walnut pores - and semi-gloss poly on top. Now I hate poly mostly, but I think a vanity and its mirror (not to mention stool) might take some abuse in the form of windex, damp towels, alcohol, nail polish, you name it, so I decided poly might be the most durable and practical, even if not the most beautiful.

Much of our reference of the interesting and beautiful is related to norms from conditioning . I see some interest in those in your work...maybe that the totally strange is embraced faster than than odd take on the familiar. You make the Jeckle and Hyde diarama seem like something everyone needs, and a beautifully crafted useful mirror kinda odd. The mirror could ,with some exposure become a new reference point and the reflected piece at the top is really interesting. So, I guess I like it !

Mel, I is weird, you're right. I suppose I'm a frustrated artist - wanting to make things that I've never seen. Hopefully they are not boring!

Here's a funny picture took when taking those other photos:

Sean, your mirror has a huge smudge in the middle of it. Other than that it is quite the work of art.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    Sean, your mirror has a huge smudge in the middle of it. Other than that it is quite the work of art.
    Ha ha. Thanks for making me laugh this morning Gordon.

Sean, gotta give ya credit; nothing I would have conceived BUT I really like it. Obviously nice detail work on it too. REALLY like the quasi natural edge detail a lot. Best regards, Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. Here's a peek at the table:

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Much of our reference of the interesting and beautiful is related to norms from conditioning.
    In that vein:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._thinking.html

Very nice project Sean. I can't even fit square pieces together properly so doing it like you have here is really impressive. I also really like what you have done with the top. Nice!

Blog Entries
    Both excellent pieces. I would not choose them for my home but, a lot of people find my G&G and A&C tastes too clunky for their homes so, "vive la différence". Your pieces bring to mind a warm fireplace in a cozy Hobbit hole. I really like them; very whimsical.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler