Thread: Attaching Hutch Top to Lower Case

Attaching Hutch Top to Lower Case

I am working on a traditional country hutch that was featured in January/February 2007 of Fine Woodworking. I can't figure out how the top unit is secured to the lower case. The article and plans only describe cutting a groove along the back of the lower case and a rabbit along the bottom of the back of the upper shelf unit and then says "Cut the slots for the buttons that will secure the top to the lower case." Neither the slots nor the buttons nor their location are described in the article or plans. What does that mean, and where are you supposed to cut the slots? I always thought buttons mean covering a screw hole with a wooden plug, but I don't see any logical position for a screw and it hardly seems traditional. Does it have another meaning?

The term "button" is also used for blocks of wood cut with a tongue that are used to attach things like table tops. The button is screwed to the top and the tongue fits into a groove or mortise in the apron. In the exploded view of the lower case it looks like there are mortises for buttons in the top rails for the sides and back. I bet the top stretcher also has them. Buttons aren't shown, though. The drawing of the hutch seems to indicate that the lower case top would be attached from the underside and then that whole assembly would be set in place on the lower case and secured with the buttons.

Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    The term "button" is also used for blocks of wood cut with a tongue that are used to attach things like table tops. The button is screwed to the top and the tongue fits into a groove or mortise in the apron. In the exploded view of the lower case it looks like there are mortises for buttons in the top rails for the sides and back. I bet the top stretcher also has them. Buttons aren't shown, though. The drawing of the hutch seems to indicate that the lower case top would be attached from the underside and then that whole assembly would be set in place on the lower case and secured with the buttons.
    Dave-Thanks for pointing out the slots to me on the exploded diagram. It can see how together with a button and tongue they function to attach the lower top of the case, but I'm still not seeing how the upper unit is attached to the lower unit other than the back groove. To be useful, the buttons would have to extend above the lower table top wouldn't they? That upper just seems to sit on top. That back groove doesn't look secure enough for my grandmother's China.

I think the top for the lower case is attached with screws through the top into the hutch before the top is attached to the lower case. If you have to move the thing, the lower case would go topless.

Maybe it really is only the groove that traditionally held the upper unit on. Reading up on hutches on the internet, they appear have a reputation for toppling over. Maybe a couple of cleats screwed across the back? Or button that projects into the lower top from slots in the bottom of the two sides? I can see why they might have designed it this way. The thing is really heavy since there are no plywood panels in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I think the top for the lower case is attached with screws through the top into the hutch before the top is attached to the lower case. If you have to move the thing, the lower case would go topless.
    I see. That really would be more secure. But what about wood movement for the top? Didn't they use buttons so the top could move?

Yes, the buttons allow the wood to move. You would secure the top along its centerline to the side rails and the buttons along the long sides would be installed so the top can expand and contract. Since the back of the hutch would be retained by the groove, I'd elongate the screw holes for the screws into the front of the hutch.

I expect you could put a couple of dowels or loose tenons between the hutch and the top at the front and let gravity hold it in place. When the thing is full of china and the "darling set arounds" it'll be heavy enough to stay put. On the other hand, being a belt and suspenders sort of guy, I would want it attached. more securely.

Blog Entries
    Hutches generally are placed up against a wall. Gravity will hold the upper unit on the base. However you will want to attach the units together in the back. Typically this can be done with 1 x 2's run vertically up the back and attached into the structure of the bottom unit and also in the top unit through their backs. I would recommend screwing down through the top of the base in case in later years you want to unstack the unit or even get rid of the top. Screw holes through the top of the base would definitely detract from the appearance of the base.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

a 5" piece of metal strapping will do just fine or even better, a rigid piece. You can attach it on the diagonal so you'll only need screws in the bottom board of the top and the top board of the bottom. Solid as a rock.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

On a large Walnut gun cabinet I built, 2 straps were cut 2" wide by about 12" long. Holes were drilled in each end to accept a brass 1/4-20 bolt with the knurled head. In the top of the lower case and near the bottom of the upper case, threaded inserts were installed. From there the bolts could easily be placed to secure the top case to the bottom case.
    For safety reasons, other than bolting to the wall studs, attaching the 2 cases is a must.