Thread: Christmas ornament

Christmas ornament

Seeing all the nice Christmas ornaments made me want to try and make one. I also thought it would help develop skills in making finials. This is what I came up with. I broke the first walnut globe, but it provided a good lesson in making ornaments. On this one I left the holes thicker to glue the parts into.

ornament1.jpg

Very nice.

3. Nice ornament, Jim. On your next one, you might consider using woods that contrast more..........dark icicle/light wood......or light icicle on a darker wood bulb. It just makes it show better on the dark background of the tree.............just a suggestion!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    A couple of years ago, I made a half dozen of these. I thought it would be cool to use 'heritage wood'. I had some oak from my fathers first desk when he set up his first dental practice back in the '40s'. I had some pine that came from the house where my mother was born in 1911.

I learned a valuable lesson: It's really hard to turn old wood. I had a lot of those things blow up before I got the gifts I needed.

Jim, like your ornament

what's not to like +1

Nice job. More contrast is better as was said.

I took a weekend course at Campbell Folk School on ornaments - same Idea, it would (and did) help me on finials. Also helps on getting other hollow forms thinner, and yes you will blow up a few. One thing he taught was to make the globe slightly flattened and the top and bottom glue to the surface with a shoulder so that you are gluing face grain. The shoulders make the ornament appear more round if done right, otherwise they can make the center appear too tall for its width.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Jim,
    To my eye I like the subtle contrast between the bowl and the finials, especially against the Green of the tree.
    Well done, excellent photo as well.
    Merry Christmas

Very nice Jim, very restful colors, real Christmassy 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Merry Christmas

Very nice ornament. I haven't made one like that yet. I have alot of "Birdhouse",Snowman, and Icecicle ornaments. I need to try one of those.

Nice indeed Jim !
    John 3:16

I like it, nice job on the finial!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.