Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Fail

You bought something for less than half the retail price from a manufacture that never has discounts anywhere close to that and then were surprised when it failed? Certainly sounds like a case of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is." Defiantly sounds like something shady going on.

Perhaps it was returned originally by another owner with the problem, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the retailer resealed the package and put it back on the shelf.
    I've seen defects that I've returned go right back on the shelf all sealed and strapped, looking like new, I know because I marked the packaging in a non obvious area when I returned it.
    I now mark the packaging on defective returns for all to see, the retailer has to go through the warrantee process or whatever to mitigate the return or sell it 'as is'
    Last edited by Tom Ewell; 12-17-2013 at 11:45 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    One other thing, and I say this only because some of you seem skeptical, I paid less than half the retail price for it. I was only willing to buy the systainer and kit because I got such a good deal on the vacuum. It was returned with no problem. I would do it again, not worth the premium price IMHO.

Even if I were using an non-Festool upholstery tool and that caused a problem for the vacuum that would say more about Festool quality than anything else - just saying.............
    I am glad you were able to get that returned without a problem. Unfortunately, if you got them new at half price, they were probably stolen. That's even below dealer cost. Make sure you actually get your money back, and it is not just a promise to get you a refund later.

I wouldn't name names here publicly, but if you want to PM me with the name of who sold these I can look into it discretely. The next person might not be as lucky as you were.

How long is the warranty the dealer should be able to send it back or you should be able to return it.

I have both a Festool Ct26e and Fein turbo II. Both work very well, but I prefer the Fein and it can be had for a good price (less than $300) occasionally at CPO.

They both run about the same db, but the noise from the Fein is at a much lower pitch, so not at all annoying. Adding a Mr Nozzle hose to the Fein gives me better throughput and a more flexible end for connections compared to the Festool. Also, HEPA filters for the Fein can be had for a reasonable cost (not Fine brand I forget the brand, but available at the orange store).

Well, it's obvious there was an issue with legitimacy of seller, so quality of "new" unit is suspect as well. I have many brands of tools in the shop, Festool being just one. While everything they make is good quality, some are far,far from home runs! The vac is among my favorites though. I have had a CT33 for about 10 years now I think? Anyway it has performed flawlessly in a production environment, except for the piece of cr*p outlet they have used on these! for all of that time.
    So good, I have 3 more now!
    I simply replaced the outlet with a quality US made one, after 2 or 3 from the manufacturer, no more issue!

Perhaps more than just the motor housing was hot? <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    You bought something for less than half the retail price from a manufacture that never has discounts anywhere close to that and then were surprised when it failed? Certainly sounds like a case of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is." Defiantly sounds like something shady going on.
    Perhaps you can explain a little further about what you mean about "defiantly (definitely) sounds like something shady going on".

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    Perhaps you can explain a little further about what you mean about "defiantly (definitely) sounds like something shady going on".
    Stolen, known to be defective, counterfeit... Used CT-Midi's go for about $400 on ebay, no retailer would sell a legit new one for <$240.

I'm not sure what to say!!

I have learned something about people on this thread. There is the old saying about people to avoid:

A reformed drunk

A reformed[B] smoker[/B]

A new one to be avoided is a Festool owner who thinks someone else got a discount on a Festool

Below is the receipt for the returned Festool Midi. I folded the receipt so you can't see the name of the retailer. I did this because I believe one you zealots would inform Festool rather than allow someone to get a good deal.

By the way, I don't really care what you think of my opinion, but I do get upset when someone accuses me of being involved with dishonest transactions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you got it at Bargain Hunt.

Heck of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you got it at Bargain Hunt.

Heck of a deal.
    And why do I think any place called "Bargain Hunt" is not likely an authorized Festool dealer??

Does anyone else think that if this thread had been about a Grizzly tool it would have been shut down by now?

I thought this would be a case of "contact the manufacturer to give them a chance to resolve the problem" before posting about it in the forum?

Reading this makes me think of "Who's on first".

Anyone think a new, non-counterfeit, Festool Midi that has the stated problem isn't still worth $205?

[
    Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    By the way, I don't really care what you think of my opinion, but I do get upset when someone accuses me of being involved with dishonest transactions.
    John,
    I don't think people think YOU were the dishonest one, but rather the dealer was. You didn't know any better, no fault of yours and no shame there, you just thought it was your lucky day. Your knee-jerk reaction to the feedback here was based on misunderstanding what people were hinting at or saying outright.

Those that know how Festool works through the dealers immediately suspected this "dealer" of not telling the truth. The retail price is set, no sales except small discounts on discontinued items (I think) and their reconditioned tool sale, no exceptions in the USA. Regardless, no legitamite dealer would sell one at half-price anyway, as even used ones go for more that that.

I hope you get your money back, and be wary of this dealer, as this particular "deal" doesn't pass the "straight face test".

Regards,
    Rodger