Thread: Yarn Bowls

Yarn Bowls

Here are some yarn bowls that I have made for my daughter to sell on her on-line knitting magazine (http:// www. twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/51-shop/shop-collection/1702-yarn-bowls). (web address is valid, just remove spaces) Most of my yarn bowls are callabash style. I normally turn green wood and then let them warp and distort. One problem with turning green wood is that they occasionally crack as they dry, especially when they are undercut like these. If I am lucky these cracks provide a good location for the yarn slot. These are all about 4 inches tall and around 7 inches in diameter. The bowls are about 5/16 inches thick and a bit thicker on the bottom. I cut the slot with a Japanese pull saw from Lee Valley and then carve and sand it smooth. Finish is with Minwax Antique Oil.

Cheers,
    David

YB 1 Box Elder 1.jpgYB 2 Norway Maple 1.jpgYB 3 Paper Birch 1a.jpgYB 4 Paper Birch 1b.jpgYB 5 English Walnut 1.jpgYB 6 English Walnut 1b.jpgYB 7 Paper Birch 1.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 12-14-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: removed direct link as per TOS

Nice bowls David. I've been interested in making a yarn bowl. I'm curious about the yarn slot. Is the hole and slot sized so that the yarn stays in the hole? Should the hole be a particular size?

Nice work.

I've been wondering why I don't see more wooden yarn bowls, I just did one for the boss (not as nice as yours I don't think) but they generally seem pretty rare.

What would they be in size? Thanks.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

OK now you've done it. Many of us have wifes who are also crafters and knitting or crochet are common crafts, so a bunch of us will be turning these. What dimensions?

Very nice collection of bowls by the way. I love turning calabash bowls. Just an extra little bit of challenge.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Yarn Bowls Part 2

Thanks for the comments about the bowls. I’ve made quite a number and they are fun.

These bowls range between 3½ and 4½ inches tall and 6½ and 8 inches wide. My feeling is that for the calabash style yarn bowls 3½" tall is the minimum and once they get to about 8” wide they seem very big. I have made some with two slots and those have to be on the larger size. If you want to see the specific sizes on these bowls, here is an improved improved link: http:// www. twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/51-shop/shop-collection/277-stuff. There are extra pictures as well. (web address is valid, just remove spaces)

I normally turn green to final thickness, let them dry, and then sand up to 320 or 400. I cut the slot and then drill the hole. My yarn slits are only about 1/8” and are just there to get the yarn to the hole. My holes are normally 5/16 or 3/8”. I’ve seen much larger holes than these. My daughter told me that mine are big enough. My standard finish is Minwax Antique Oil.

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 12-14-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: removed direct link as per TOS

Nice work, David. I like the shapes and they are beautifully finished. It seems that yarn bowls of this size are about the standard. Is there a reason why? I have lots of needlewomen friends and customers who do not seem to know the answer except to say it is "the right size for a ball of yarn". By the way a RotoZip makes cutting the slot a piece of cake.

There is a good market in the areas of knitting, needlepoint, embroidery, quilting etc. for wooden accessories such as yarn bowls, laying tools, ort bowls, koma, cold presses etc.
    Last edited by Michael Stafford; 12-14-2013 at 9:14 AM.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Really nice bowls, David. I would think the calabash shape would help keep the yarn ball contained as it rolls better than an open form. Nice work!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Great Work! I can see many, Many of these on my list of projects for family and friends over the next year! So many projects, so Little time!

Very nice work David! I will have to try turning one of these little gems! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

hmmnnn , county fair is in 7 months ......... great idea David !! I have a feeling I will be making more than just a few ...
    John 3:16

I have been asked to may these as well.
    I had to look them up!

Thanks a lot David , wifey looking over my shoulder mentioned I should make these for the needlers over here

Just kidding David , nice work and yes I should try turning some of those, could be some $$ in it for me.
    Have fun and take care