Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ticking Sound from Headstock on PM3520B Lathe

My mustard thing did the same thing--very popular with 3520's, for 6 months and quit. So did the tachometer and lock function. Haven't missed either one since.

I had the clicking problem with my PM 3520B too. Like many others, found it was caused by the speed sensor blocks moving around (loose set screw).

The Mustard Monster site lists several other causes and fixes. Google “Mustard Monster Weebly” enter the site, click on Mechanical/Maintenance, scroll down to the section on Headstock Noise.

PROBLEM FIXT!!!

Called the tech people at Powermatic, and based on the speed of the fix, its a common problem.

The problem is from two set screws that loosen the spindle lock collar. But the problem is seeing it and getting to them. They have you remove the spindle lock tab, remove the spindle lock. Then if you cant see the two set screws, you then remove the digital readout panel and gently lay it down when the 4 screws are removed. Now you can see the set screws. First tighten the setscrew that is over the key. Then tighten the other one opposite the first one. thats it. Replace the digital panel, replace the spindle lock, the cover and away you go. No more ticking.

Mine had the same noise after i read your post i checked did as you said pull belt off to one side and took out speed indicator on collar behind rpm indicator one set screw was loose and one was missing put in new 5/16 set screw runs like new thanks louis