Thread: Question on cutting acrylic pen blanks on a bandsaw

Question on cutting acrylic pen blanks on a bandsaw

I want to resaw them along the length to use for cutting inlay pieces.

I have a couple of timber wolf blades and I was wondering if they would work. I am hoping to avoid wrecking the blanks as I have none to practice with. Maybe I should buy a couple of sacrifical blanks to practice with.

I have a 1/4 x 6 TPI x .025 and a 1/8 x 14 TPI x .025. Not sure if these are wide enough to resaw acrylic.

Has anyone used one of these to cut or resaw acrylic?

Can you recommend the best width and TPI for this application if I should buy a new blade.

Also - is a raker or hook blade better for acrylic.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 12-15-2013 at 4:34 PM.

I have a small Delta tabletop bandsaw that I use for "modelling", and occasionally use it to cut pen blanks -- wood, acrylic, Corian, etc. It is small, with a very fine blade, but it cuts acrylic easily. I've only used it to cut blanks to length, and not done ripping, but it does cut just fine thru most any material I've used for pens. I would say my blade is in the range of 1/8" X 14 tpi, so I'd say try your widest blade first, since for ripping, the wider the better. Tough call. As long as you can support and feed the blank easily/safely, I would think you will have no issues with ripping.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 12-15-2013 at 4:22 PM.

Your 14tpi will be fine Raymond. Light pressure and use a push stick. I've used a 6, but it gets messy! I use Ellis blades.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks for the tips guys.

Guess I will give what I have a try first. Will check out Ellis blades; I have never used them. I bought four Timberwolf Blades when I got my bandsaw and have never replaced any of them so far.