Thread: MultiCam MT 2200 CNC

MultiCam MT 2200 CNC

Hi there,

Last summer I purchased a mid to late 90s Multicam MT 2200 with a vacuum table and have used it to create V-carve signs using the old-timey Windows 95 PC and Casmate software that came with it. It works OK, but I would like to upgrade to computer and software made in this century. I also want to mill with this setup. Does anyone have suggestions, advice, or comments for me?

Thanks!

-Matt

You could check out http://www.linuxcnc.org/ . There is probably a commercial setup (have you contacted Multicam?) that would be more slick. What I like about poking around with the linux cnc stuff is getting my head around what is going on "under the hood" so to speak.

Matt, take a look at WinCNC. It is a very robust, easy to use industrial controller.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Matt, if you still need it, I have the MultCam control software, I can email it to you if you like, just PM me if you want it. What do you plan to mill with it? I have 2 MultiCams that I have been running for the last 12 years, let me know if I can help.
    Paul
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

5. Paul...Have you ever had your spindles re-worked. I have a 6 year old MultiCam 5000 with an 11 hp Euro Router and 12 station tool changer. The sensors for the auto changer quit working recently....tech is saying it might be time to pull router shaft & have ceramic bearings replaced.

Jerry,
    Yes, I have had to do it several times on both machines, one is only a 4hp Colombo spindle and my other one is a 5.5hp with ceramic bearings, I sent mine to the Colombo distributor and it was not cheap, bearings are about $200, new spindle shaft etc, ran me about $2500 at the end, just like new now though. Yours should be in the $400-$500 dollar range I would estimate.
    Paul

Thanks for the tips everybody.

@Paul: I want to mill some oak or maple cutting boards.

I've tried a few test pieces and the corners plunge deeper than the sides as the material is milled. The Casmate software that came with this is from '95 or so and really wonky for me.

Matt, sounds like something in the toolpath/software settings so I can't really address that since I've never used it, I use EnRoute Pro which is pretty pricey, (about $4k), I know a lot of people here have had good luck with the Vectric software which is much more affordable so you might look into something like that. If your MultiCam has a similar controller to mine it should have a table milling feature built in, you input the parameters at the control pad, on mine it's Menu> Cut Utils> Table Mill. If you want the user manual PM me and I will email it to you.
    Paul