Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: used price question powermatic 18" 5hp planer 1980s vintage

I would check three things before buying.

First, don't buy a direct drive machine unless you get it for half price and really want the machine. Cutter heads cost significantly more for this method if you need to repair or upgrade. If the motor is mounted low with a belt drive-you are good.

Second, I would make certain the in-feed table isn't dished. This is common on heavily used machines--scratches and shallow grooves are common and don't interfere with operation. There are so many of these out there I would wait for one with flat tables and less wear than take a dished machine.

And finally, if it is a later yellow machine, check the tags to make certain it doesn't say made in Taiwan.

One more option is segmented roller which is a plus but not a deal breaker.

Stick a Byrd in this planer and you will be impressed with how quiet it is!

Best,
    Greg Stahl

A friend of mine in WI has a 1970 version with a grinder for sale for $1500. Nathan is a good guy if that makes any sense ( don't know where you are ). Belt drive although I'm fine with DD on old machines. I would not swap a head on a machine with a built in grinder. Once you learn how to grind the knives you will get a great finish. Check BOYD on owwm.org. Dave

Thanks for all the replies to this post........ The planer is just a few miles away, so I will at least look at it. Jeff D I fully understand what you are saying and agree, I keep asking myself do I really need it as I have a DEWALT lunchbox now that is doing me fine............ I am at least going to go look at it, plus he has a few other items, including wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Toschlog View Post
    I am at least going to go look at it, plus he has a few other items, including wood.
    Ahhhh….famous last words uttered right before he steps onto the slope……happy sliding

JeffD

Help, I've fallen and I can't get up! Ok, I slipped, using Jeff's term........
    I have agreed to purchase it for $1500.00, due to weather will be awhile before I can get it moved. Found a guy (I know him but did not know he did this) who has a skid loader with forks and no issue with 1300lbs, he moved a grizzly few months ago. Moving cost will be 100 bucks!
    Pics will come once its here...

Jerry

Congrats! That is a great price.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

In 1984 the No. 180 retailed for $3880. That was without the grinder, motor, motor control and sectional feed rolls.

Today that planer would retail for around $8700 for matching build quality.

Hope it works out. Post pictures when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Toschlog View Post
    . Found a guy (I know him but did not know he did this) who has a skid loader with forks and no issue with 1300lbs, he moved a grizzly few months ago. Moving cost will be 100 bucks!
    Pics will come once its here...

Jerry
    Price for the planer is OK, but the cost for moving is definitely worthy of a "You Suck"! Around here you'd pay $100 just to get it loaded onto your truck

good luck,
    JeffD

10. Here's a PM180 for sale near me for $1,150

Why do people have to slop ugly paint on stuff

Keith Bohn already told you the price for a new machine of similar quality. If you go to his site, OWWM, you can find everything you ever need about Powermatic machines needed help. Plan on rebuilding it with new bearings and other parts. After doing that, you will never have to work on it again. It's one big machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Why do people have to slop ugly paint on stuff
    Yeah, Powermatic made great machines
    , but their paint jobs left a little to be desired.