Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neander Chest- On- Chest Build Pics

Nice work and an even better running commentary Mike. I feel your pain about personal storage SWMBO has half of a 16ft long closet, 2 1/2 dressers in our bedrom, the closets in our office and spare bedroom, a dresser in the spare bedroom, and half a dozen huge lidded
    rubbermaid totes stored in the loft of the barn with seasonal stuff. But she doesn't have enough clothes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mike, very nice to see the project, and nice commentary. Hope to see you again on one of my visits to the folks down the road from you. Merry Christmas and all that, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    But she doesn't have enough clothes.
    Just as I don't have enough tools

Great thread! I too think cherry is the fairest maiden.

Good luck with the bandsaw repair and keep 'em coming.

C

My wife is not what I would call excessive about clothes. However,we just got back from Anthropologie,where a pair of jeans can be $200.00. Today,they only reached $178.00.

Wow! More! More! More!

I really love seeing these build threads with running commentary, and I really liked the last one you did, Mike. My New Year's resolution is to stop building shop appliances and start making real things again - between this and Chris's bench, there's some kicks in the pants to get working. As much as I love the threads we have here, we need more build threads!

This is looking great, can't wait to read more!
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Looking good Mike ,it was time well spent matching the grain lines on the end panels. Andrew

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=george wilson;2195098]I love early American furniture in curly woods!! Who made that chest? It just glows.

hi George,

The chest pictured comes from, Glen Huey’s excellent book "Building 18th-Century American Furniture". The picture in the OP is a photograph of the page from the book and really doesn't do the chest justice. In the actual photo it's absolutely stunning with a beautiful flame figure that looks almost fake it so gorgeous. I highly recommend the book, if you like this style of furniture. Personally I would be happy to build and have in my home all the pieces in the book. The photos and construction notes have just the right level of detail to show you what you need to know, and are still short enough I actually read them.

It's furniture like that in Glen Huey’s book that really reinforces to me the design philosophy that "it's always about the wood". One of these days I hope to acquire some beautifully figured wood like that (can be tough to do here in Southern California), and then have the good sense to feature the best figure in the layout of the piece. Now it seems like I always try to squeeze every last bit of usable components out of the stock I have on hand, instead of sacrificing a few board feet here and there to make sure I'm featuring the truly attractive pieces – clearly I'm afflicted by case of "penny wise and pound foolish".

I just finished the Cabriolet feet, which was a real chore without a working bandsaw. I'll try and post some pictures when I get some time off around the holidays.

All the best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    My wife is not what I would call excessive about clothes. However,we just got back from Anthropologie,where a pair of jeans can be $200.00. Today,they only reached $178.00.
    I hope they're made in the states or some first world country for that price! (or come with about $150 of cash in one of the pockets).

Really nice work so far Mike. As Chris said in an earlier post, you have really come along nicely in your woodworking skills. I also love your attitude toward sharing your progress with us, wish there was a bit more of that on this thread. It'd be nice to see some of the less experienced around here post their projects and watch how they improve over time. I am one to talk as my picture posting is very bad, it's just tough to find enough time in a day to post pictures let alone even get into the shop to work.

I will certainly be following this thread with anticipation. Again, really nice stuff Mike!