Thread: Geta-ya chisel? How do these work?

Geta-ya chisel? How do these work?

A "geta-ya" chisel showed up on the front page of eBay for me today; item number 121238494615. A similar item shows up here.

Interesting, albeit something I would have no need for, but I'm curious as to it's form/function. The auction mentions they are used between the teeth of the geta - so are the two long protrusions on this chisel to help guide it between them without scarring them?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    No idea.

The thought did smirk in that maybe they needed to geta-ya a wider stone when they were sharpening their chisel.

Most likely it is used for some part of making Japanese joinery.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well, it's for working on these -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(footwear)

And the auction say it's for between the teeth, I'm was just a bit fuddled on the long protrusions.

The pun was good, though, Jim.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

They are for making clogs or some sort of japanese style shoes. I've never actually seen one being used, though, so I'm not sure what the fences on the chisel are for, maybe to guide the cut.

I remembered posting this question last year, and Wilbur posted a video recently that shows this in use. And some neat woodworking processes.

http://giantcypress.net/post/1022689...-geta-japanese