Thread: Thin stock warping when glued on one face

Thin stock warping when glued on one face

Inspired by this lively video, I decided last-minute to whip out some drink coasters for holiday gifts. Some just solid wood resawn from scraps, some laminated from scraps (think of a small, thin laminated long grain cutting board). All the scraps had been in my shop for a couple years. I'd resaw, sand off the bandsaw marks, and finish the top and sides with spray lacquer, BLO, or mineral oil, depending on the wood. Final sanded thickness ~3/16". Fun little project.

My problem arose when I started gluing felt on the bottoms. (I used Titebond II, the wood was unlaminated walnut, mineral oil finish on top/sides, unfinished bottom, just stuck a heavy book on them while glue dried). When the glue had dried, the coasters were cupped & wobbly.

Would a different glue prevent this? Is this less likely to happen on the laminated ones? Or should I just give up on gluing felt on the bottom? And, while I'm at it, is the cupping going to happen anyway the first time someone puts a cold drink on them, or the humidity changes?

I believe the nature of your problem is that the bottom is unfinished and then you are introducing moisture with the Titebond. Your best bet would be to finish all surfaces, edges too, with a spray can urethane (easiest) or several coats of a Waterlox or varnish or other sealing/building finish. Then apply the felt using a 3M tack adhesive or the like- fast setting and will not add any moisture to the wood. Still time left before Christmas .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Ditto what Sam said. Any piece of wood, and dramatically with thin wood, will move with one flat face unsealed.

With that said, your book wasn't heavy enough or on the coaster long enough. With enough pressure, held long enough for the glue to fully cure, it WOULD have come out flat, but alas, it would still subsequently move.

Todd

I appreciate those helpful responses.

When I watched that video, I didn't understand why he was bothering to make them endgrain. Not like anyone would be cutting on them. But now I believe I'm starting to understand.