Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest place to buy a sticky-mat?

Cheapest place to buy a sticky-mat?

Anything less than $80 a square foot would be nice, sheesh!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I got mine at Johnson Plastics, I think it was about $125 for 12x24 - make sure you get the double sided one or, like me, you'll have a single sided one sitting around gathering dust...

I have 2 double sided mats now, and single sided wouldn't bother me at all. I still tape stuff down all the time that won't stick to a sticky mat (like plex with the paper still on it). I machine small plastic pieces all the time and the mats are great for that. I need 24x24" worth for my new IS7000...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Don't know if these will work for you but their cheaper
    http://www.americanfloormats.com/cle...FY49QgodG0sAEg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Afraid those won't work, each mat has 30 disposable layers, and (as I understand it) the tack is very light. Silicone sticky mats are washable and will last for years. What's hard for me to swallow about $165+ for a 12x24 mat is that I can buy 3 of those tacky silicone hair and lint rollers for less than $20 and at 8" x 2-1/2" diameter there's over 192 square inches of material on them. What I'd really like to find is a supplier for the silicone sheeting itself...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Kev, Would double sided tape work for you? We use that in wood turning all the time.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Kev,

If you can give me a few days, I have my feelers out for supplier info. I know what those mats are made of, and my belief is they can be had for significantly less. I'll let you know...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Kev, Would double sided tape work for you? We use that in wood turning all the time.

Dave
    I think he's looking for a reusable product. These silicone mats like he said are reusable and washable. I have a small one on the dash of my truck, I put my cell up there, the phone sticks to the mat and keeps it from flying around the cab.When it gets dirty or dusty I just wash it with a little soap and water and its as god as new again.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I still use tape all the time on certain material. For just ENGRAVING tape is fine. But I cut lots of various holes out of lots of various plastics, and sometimes the holes leave very little needed material behind. I have to insure that the needed-area of the material is taped well, because if not tool chatter or end mill 'lift' can ruin the cut. Also, cutting into tape creates goo on the cut edges. And then removing the pieces and removing the tape, and tape residue left behind, can get very time consuming, plus I've broken many parts just pulling them off the table because sometimes the tape sticks too well. The stickymats are a godsend, because they hold the entire piece down, I can clear thru it and the cutter does little if any damage to the mat, especially if the down-side still has the plastic masking. I don't have to create stencil cuts, no gooey residue, no tape and tape residue to remove, no tape to replace to do the next job, the mat just works great!

I'll be watching Dan, thank you!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kev! It is interesting noting the differences in the way things I am used to using in turning affect things in the laser. I appreciate everyone being willing to talk about this stuff when I throw out these thoughts.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I should clarify, I don't uses the mats in the laser, I use them on the tables of my spindle-n-tool engraving machines...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

http://www.visionengravers.com/store/p_multimat.html Seklema

http://www.newing-hall.com/ProductMa...h/tables.shtml Dynagrip

http://www.laserbits.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=315 Multi Mat

I use magnets to hold my material in place in the laser and a dynagrip on my rotary.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kevin! That makes more sense to me. I was gonna spend some time looking more into the matts to see what it was about them that prevented the lasers from cutting them as well when you did a cut through of a material that was sitting on them! Saved me some time. <grin>

Dave

Blog Entries
    Mark,

Dynagrip? As in the adhesive roofing sheet?

Dave

Did you ever come up with an economical solution, Kev?