Thread: Re-design a Blanket Chest into a large toolbox??

Question Re-design a Blanket Chest into a large toolbox??

Just kicking around ideas. Over the past 30 years or so, have made a LOT of Blanket Chests/ Toy boxes. Looking for a few ideas to turn a frame&panel style chest into a decent sized hand tool toolchest. Maybe a few drawers in the bottom, jus for smaller toys, er, tools? Storage under the lid for a few saws? Storage area for a few DOZEN handplanes?

Thinking of making this out of good old Pine boards. 3/4" plywood for the bottom of the main storage area (planes) and maybe reinforce the "feet" toallow for casters?

Might make to fit under the workbench. That means about 48" long (or so) and maybe 24" width (Front to rear). With the top closed down, a height of less than 30"? Not sure about any sliding trays in the top storage area, maybe for the smaller planes ( block planes, and a #78)

Shop runs on the KISS system, and a very tight shoestring budget. Tools just happen to be in the way of other tools when doing a project....

Steve,
    I'd recommend checking out Christopher Schwartz's book, 'The Anarchists Tool Chest'. He covers this idea very well. I've been dreaming of a similar set-up albeit smaller boxes to allow for easy transport to jobsites. You might be able to check out Chris's blog to see pics of his tool chest.

For a smaller chest, Jeff, you might take a look at Michael Pekovich's Essential Tool Chest. You can get plans either by download or large scale printed plans. The digital version of the plans includes the SketchUp model if you want to use it as a starting point and modify it to suit.

48x30x24 overall dimensions, filled with tools? Gonna weigh a ton. Casters would be a good idea.

Might just go with a Frame & Panel style chest, with a few slider trays inside.

Next idea: Flat top for the lid? Or.....a Coopered top?

May the glue-ups begin.....

I don't know what options you have, but giant tool storage boxes on the floor are not what I would like to have. They requiring bending down and make it hard on back and knees. For me, I want the tools up where I ca get to them. I like the wall hung cabinet idea.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might just go with a Frame & Panel style chest, with a few slider trays inside.

Next idea: Flat top for the lid? Or.....a Coopered top?

May the glue-ups begin.....
    A coopered top would be fun. But you can put things on a flat top. A surface that big could turn out to be almost an extra work table.