Thread: A&C Chandelier Prototype

A&C Chandelier Prototype

Here is a prototype of a series of stained glass chandeliers I am in the process of making; I did these with simple Home Depot common pine shelving with a basic shellac finish. The others will be white oak and the stained glass panels more intricate. This was meant to be a proof of concept before committing to a design and cutting. This panel is a simple knock of on the FLR style. The others I have made are more intricate in the Art Nouveau style. The bulbs are 100 watt CFL with a Leutron Maestro dimmer so they can be lowered to a nice level for a formal dinner. I still have to put some of the wood plugs in to cover the mounting holes. The light is hung by leather straps that I riveted.

All in all I liked it enough that I put it up in the dining room. The holes in the ceiling are the old 1960 canister style recessed lightning I am replacing. I will be covering these up with framed A&C Motawi tiles such as seen in the attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

can't wait to see them in some nice wood. I like that design very much !

Thanks Joe. It's a non-period correct amalgam of Franklin Lloyd Wright and Greene and Greene; but it seems to work well enough.

4. Paul, great use of a prototype! I will be building a similar light early next year and have begun the design only on paper. My light will have fewer fingers in the box joint, straps which hang closer to vertical, and 4 boards wrapping around the top of the light box in the shape of a tsuba.

do you you feel 400W is the right amount of light? Given your glass is fairly transparent and the top of the light box is open to the ceiling, is enough light directed dowward (and thus the dimmer?) How wide does the light spread downward?

FWIW, here is a similar ceiling mount light I just completed. The light source is LED strips. i choose this as it will not generate much heat.

CelingLight.jpg

Between the lights reflecting off the ceiling, coming through the side slots and of course shining down it seems to work well. I have four more already in progress for the living room with more complicated art glass panels already completed.

That is really nice Paul. I might suggest making the leather straps sown together double layer so that you can run the power cord down through it.

Allen

Interesting. That's a wonderful project. Very well thought out.