Thread: My 1st ornament

My 1st ornament

I can see why you guys like making ornaments! They're fun and cute. This one is taken from the book "Woodturning Christmas Ornaments with Dale Nish".

It's my first but definitely not my last. My wife wanted to keep this, but it was already destined to be a present for my step-Mom. If I had more time I would have made another one to give away and kept this. But my step-Mom appreciates hand made items so I hope she likes it.
    20131223_154909.jpg

The body is Cherry, I think the top is Linden, and the perch and finial are Wenge. I like how the top has a streak of color through it. The finish is spray Lacquer that was rubbed back.

Excellent start indeed Pat !!!
    John 3:16

Very pretty. I hope that she enjoys it.
    C&C WELCOME

4. I like it Pat! Nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

the first of many, they are fun

Very nice, Pat.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I can see why she wanted to keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    I can see why you guys like making ornaments! They're fun and cute. This one is taken from the book "Woodturning Christmas Ornaments with Dale Nish".

It's my first but definitely not my last. My wife wanted to keep this, butu it was already destined to be a present for my step-Mom. If I had more time I would have made another one to give away and kept this. But my step-Mom appreciates hand made items so I hope she likes it.
    20131223_154909.jpg

The body is Cherry, I think the top is Linden, and the perch and finial are Wenge. I like how the top has a streak of color through it. The finish is spray Lacquer that was rubbed back.

I really like this. One of the best I have seen.

I love turning these ornaments, and this one is a real nice one, well done and I'm sure it will be treasured
    Have fun and take care

Well done. Ornaments are on my list of things to try.
    Where did I put that?

Thanks everyone. Yeah she liked it!

What's nice about this particular design is you don't need any hollowing tools to make it. The body and top are drilled out with a forstner bit, which makes it easy and quick.
    I feel myself slowly being sucked into a new area of turning. I'm already thinking ahead to display stands, other wood combinations, etc.

Many turners use overly large and expensive screw eyes for hanging ornaments, and they often split fragile ornaments. The best option I have found is a gold plated 3/0 Aberdeen light wire fish hook, much cheaper and the gold looks great with gold hangers.