Thread: New Printer

New Printer

We finally broke down and bought a new wide format printer. Tired of not having a source to make decals, bumper stickers, real estate signs, and everything in between.

It's a HP Latex machine and it prints beautifully. I thought getting into lasers was expensive. Bought Onyx Production House software to run it. It was $5,000 just for the software to make it print (I know there are other RIP's out there, but we weren't happy with any of the demos we saw on those).

61" wide, it'll print double sided, paper, vinyl, banner, fabric, backlit films, and other things that I don't even know what they are Prints about 125 sq. ft per hour at fairly high resolution. No solvent based ink, so the prints are dry when they come off the machine and you can laminate it immediately. No outgassing to deal with.

Can't wait to get some time with it and some ink run through it. So far it's done great, but we've only had it a week or so.

Here's a video of it before they changed the model number this year.

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Big investment, but should pay back very well for you. Hopefully you can get into the very profitable vehicle wraps. Congratulations!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Steve,

I guess business has been good in your area this year

Your new printer is a real beauty, I hope I can swing some work your way this year.

Thanks Guys! That means a lot coming from both of you. Without Joe's help 6-7 years ago, we wouldn't have a sign business.

Keith, business has been good. Best year in the history of our company. Really tired of not being able to find anyone that wants to work with you on wholesale stuff. Everyone says they are giving you the wholesale price but it's almost always much closer to retail pricing. Since no one wanted to build that relationship, we now have a printer and we'll do it ourselves. When we didn't have one, we weren't a threat to anyone's wide format printing business. Now we are. Self inflicted business wound by them, if you ask me

Can't wait to do some wall murals or custom wallpaper.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 12-27-2013 at 1:32 PM.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Sweet !!!!!
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Steve

Congratulations! Shrewd move--I'm sure you'll do well with it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My mother-in-law has a smaller version of that printer. Very versatile with the latex inks, I'm sure you'll like it.

Congratulations Steve, I'm sure you'll have lot's of fun with that, we have the older version of that and love it. We got suckered into a deal at a sign show back in 2001 and bought an Arizona solvent printer, it was so bad it actually cost more to make a print than what we could sell it for, finally sold it for scrap a few years ago. Vehicle wraps can be good money makers but it seems like there is a lot more competition than there used to be with printer prices being so much cheaper now, we don't do them much anymore, too many 1 man shops that only do wraps.
    Paul
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.