Thread: Sort of Turning

Sort of Turning

I'm trying to find time to turn but other things keep getting in the way...and I'm the culprit! On black Friday I bought an early 50's Unisaw for $150. Was thinking of just flipping it but always wanted to restore a Uni that was around my age (I'm 57):

I even got brave and tore the "bullet" motor apart. First thing I saw was I needed to clean up the copper commutator. The motor shops in the area didn't want to touch it so:

I was able to measure arbor shaft and commutator run-out and if anything the total run-out of the comm got slightly better after cleaning. I only needed to take around 0.010" off and I took my time at it.

Later I had to make a new throw-out weight spring. It is commonly called a necklace or shorting spring. I made one according to some info I saw at OWWM but it seemed larger than the original. Rather then re-make one or put it in the motor and try it out I was able to chuck it on the lathe and use the digital speed readout the determine the throw-out speed (also saw this on OWWM).

Hopefully I'll get the saw done in the next couple of weeks.

Mike

This is really cool. I have a slightly newer Unisaw and it is a great saw!
    Good luck with the rebuild.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .