Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen is finally done

Blog Entries

Kitchen is finally done

I started building the cabinets last winter for our small galley style kitchen, but with a lot of out-of-town time and other projects, it took until just before Christmas to finish the project by installing the travertine back splash. I had a friend help with the drywall, floor and with the cabinet and crown molding install, the rest was a DIY project. Six LED ceiling cans light the area, and the quartz lights in the range hood illuminate the range area nicely. I went with stranded bamboo on the floor and quartz countertops. Cabinets are hickory, finished with almost a gallon of P&L #38 satin varnish, wiped on in 5 coats. All the drawer slides and hinges are Blum soft close style, except for the corner cabinets. I spend a lot of time at the kitchen table which looks out over the front yard and street, so I installed a motorized lift cellular shade there. Overall, I am very pleased with the look, and it should last as long as I am in the house. I built the house in 1975 and never plan on leaving. This is the second kitchen remodel, the last one being 19 years ago. I went with a dual fuel GE Café range, it was my first gas range and I am really liking it. Whirlpool fridge and dishwasher. I had the base, crown and casing milled from hickory at Armstrong millworks, only 10 minutes from home. They also supplied all of the solid hickory for the cabinet doors, drawer fronts and end caps. I reused the old Mills Pride base cabinets veneering the front edges, but went with new upper cabs after removing the old soffits to allow for taller uppers. There are a few goofs here and there and I know every one, but that makes it my kitchen, not one made in a factory and installed by pros.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-28-2013 at 9:01 AM.

Very Nice!

Congrats, know what it is like to finally get 'er done.
    Looks good too.

Ole, that's a very striking set of cabinets, well done.

I haven't seen hickory used in Canada, is it a common wood in your area?

Nice work, it looks great...............Rod.

Excellent job , Ole
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I took about the same amount of time on my kitchen remodel. As most of us know, it aint easy working full time and trying to complete a large project at the same time. Had my share of minor goofs too. I guess that's part of what makes it a custom kitchen. It looks great Ole!

Great way to start the new year! I really like the finished product.

Love the look of that Hickory. What a beautiful job overall. Must feel great to finally be done!
    Dick Mahany.

Those are great looking cabinets Ole. I like how the hickory turned out. You can definitely be proud of the finished project. It is a showcase kitchen. Great job!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Ole, that's a very striking set of cabinets, well done.

Nice work, it looks great...............Rod.
    Thank you. Hickory is not a real common wood, but readily available at many mills and as a veneer plywood and edge banding. It is quite hard and tough, being used for baseball bats and shovel handles, but it does splinter easily, so you do get some tear out when routing it. It does have a heartwood and sapwood look (dark and light) with some random mineral streaks and pin knots. Looks somewhat rustic but not to the extent of something like cedar or knotty pine.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-28-2013 at 1:40 PM.

Looks really good Ole. I have been doing mine for three years now, too much other stuff going on. I just got the orders from above to 'get 'er done'. For some reason, my bride wants it finished before our 50'th anniversary in April.

Hope it turns out as well as yours.

Rick Potter

Very nice!

I can't see any goofs from here - looks like you planned it all out pretty carefully. Nicely done.

You have about as little counter top space as we do. How do you manage? Room for a small rolling island to add a few more square feet for food prep?

Congrats all in all. Looks great.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

That's a most appealing look ,and I don't generally like hickory or the use of sapwood. Quite nice and cozy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

........Rod.
    The cabinets at my parents home (London ON) and their cottage (Carnarvon ON) are hickory. Though there is an abundance of oak and maple cabinets up here.