Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitchen is finally done

Very nice work and I really like that style.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Nice looking cabinets! I love the hickory and the incorporation of sap wood. I would like to hear about the upper and lower corner units and some if any challenges. Did you do a sketch up model?

D
    Frankly, I just used the old cabinets as a model and replaced the uppers in kind except that I went taller and widened one cabinet. Other than the refrigerator surround which was not present before, there were no real changes to the general cabinet layout. I did eliminate the old trash compactor in favor of a two bin custom built trash/recycle drawer in the same location. I had HD come out and measure the kitchen and do a 3d plot just to get a feel for pricing of commercial cabinets. I did have them experiment with a couple of other layouts, but with the restricted size, the old layout just worked best. My only other option would to have expanded the kitchen out onto the porch, and I just wasn't up for that much work. The lower corner box was reused, but the upper corner box was new construction. All of the boxes were constructed with 3/4" hickory ply, including the backs. Tops and sides were connected using glue and 4 dowels along each 12" joint using a Dowel Max jig and the backs were set in a rabbet and glued. Box tops and sides were edge banded with hot melt hickory banding. Box bottoms and shelf front edges were finished with 3/4" x 3/4" solid hickory. With the upper corner, I wasn't able to pop the shelves in using shelf pins like I could with the other cabs. The shelves had to be installed before the glue up of the box and I decided it would be too difficult to install them up front and make them adjustable so they were screwed in place during construction.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-31-2013 at 8:00 AM.

Sweet!!!!!

Well executed. Looks great. It's a huge project and you did great. I am sure you sit at the kitchen table and admire your hard work.

Great job, Ole! Love that mixed colors look!