Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravostyle 98 in Windows 7

Gravostyle 98 in Windows 7

Is anyone by any chance running Gravostyle 98 to a rotary engraver (we have an IS400) but on a Windows 7 computer? We had to retire our Windows 98 machine and we replaced it with a Windows 7 machine running Windows 7 Professional because all our other computers are on this OS and it serves our network security well.

I installed my Gravostyle 98 on that computer and everything is doing what it should EXCEPT printing. I get a message telling me it cannot open the printer. I wonder if I need a different driver or if I don't have the port configured correctly. Anyone?

I did find something online that is freeware, but I always worry about that stuff and my network manager prohibits me from downloading that stuff, and rightfully so. Unless someone can tell me they use it and it works.

I know Grav 98 is no longer supported but it is an excellent program and I do not want to upgrade.

Gravostyle98 = Win98. You're going to need to upgrade. Good news for you is the newer versions are much better. The bad news for you is it's expensive and the software is still buggy.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

With all due respect, you don't need to upgrade your gravo98. I have 98, 5, 5.3 and 7, and the upgrades on the newer versions are nice, but not 3 or 4 grand nice... What you need to do to get it to work is to modify the post-processor. I had the same issue 2 months ago hooking up my IS7000/Gravo 5.3 to Windows 7, and at this very moment I'm having the same problem with the new computer the wife gave me, with Windows 8. My New Hermes rep fixed my Win7, and I need to compare the two post-processor's and figure out if I can just make my own adjustment for Win8. If I DO figure it out I'll post up the change...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Kev,

How about posting up the changes you made for Win7... someone out there will likely fall into this trap again.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

If you could figure out what the changes were to get it to work with Win 7 then maybe I could duplicate it.

6. I have Win XP and a NH 3400 and was going to buy a new computer with Win 7. I know I will have to purchase a parallel port card for the NH dongle. Have you actually had sucess being able to run G '98 on a Win 7 computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    With all due respect, you don't need to upgrade your gravo98. I have 98, 5, 5.3 and 7, and the upgrades on the newer versions are nice, but not 3 or 4 grand nice... What you need to do to get it to work is to modify the post-processor. I had the same issue 2 months ago hooking up my IS7000/Gravo 5.3 to Windows 7, and at this very moment I'm having the same problem with the new computer the wife gave me, with Windows 8. My New Hermes rep fixed my Win7, and I need to compare the two post-processor's and figure out if I can just make my own adjustment for Win8. If I DO figure it out I'll post up the change...
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

Blog Entries
    Lisa,

Another possibility if you are not able to get Kev's solutions to work.

If your IT person is OK with this. Install a copy of VMWare on your Windows machine.
    Then install Win98 and G'98 as a virtual machine inside of that.
    Deny it access to the internet so it is not a networked virtual machine, and not subject to infection from the internet.
    As you set up the machine in VMWare, establish a shared folder for it so that you can move files easily between the win 7 environment and the Win98 Virtual Machine.

My preference would be to fix the issue so Win 7 will do the job. But if push came to shove this would work and protect your network and machine in a way that IT may accept.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Alas, I haven't had the the time- or the need honestly- to figure out the post processor changes my rep added for me. And he's been out of town almost constantly since the new year started- The change has to do with Gravostyle, the machine and the computer all agreeing on the name/number of the port that's being used for communication. In my case, my IS7000 connects via USB. A 3400 usually connects to an "EP Module", and the EP connects to the computer via a typical printer cable or a null-modem serial cable. If you have a free LPT port, Gravo should work fine with it as there's no special driver, just connect to the port, go to "add printer", choose the correct port, and when it ask which printer, choose "generic text driver":

then pick a name for the machine, etc...

The Gravograph IS machines use a "GT Smartstream" driver, which is specific to Gravograph (I assume). If you have the GS software, browse the disk for GT Smartstream, and you should be able to install it. Whether the machine will run or not may be a crap shoot, and why my post processor had to be changed so my IS7000 would run using my Win7 computer.

Oddly enough, my Win8 computer loaded up the Gravostyle-7 version GT smartstream driver and runs my little IS400 PS just fine. The older versions of Gravostyle don't support the point-n-shoot function, but otherwise it will run the machine. But Win8 refuses to load a generic text driver, nor will it load my ULS or L-solution laser drivers. So I have all these machines, and Win8 will run the IS 400, and MAYBE my IS7000. Thanks for the upgrades, microsoft...

Hopefully SOON I can get Bruce (my rep) to fill me in on how to change the PP...

===================
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 02-28-2014 at 6:26 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

If you have a dongle, you need an old machine. An OLD machine. The old dongles are not compatible with the serial and parallel ports on the newer computers. And get ready for sticker shock if you are going to upgrade your software...

We had our computer die, and they wanted to charge us more than the cost of a brand new machine to upgrade. They actually had the nerve to demand all the back maintenance fees (we were not on maintenance).

We went to a ham radio swap, found two old clunkers and now we have a backup system if this other one ever dies.

They are the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with and I would never buy any of their products as long as they have the ridiculous draconian laws in place.

10. Hi Mark,

I can actually provide some more details regarding this. It is not essential to have an old computer in order to pick up the dongle on the serial or parallel port. I have dug around and discovered that the dongle was made by a company called Rainbow originally, which was bought out by another company called Sentinel. If you go to their website ( http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-d...tinel-drivers/ ) and download the "Sentinel Protection Installer", you will be able to run the dongle on newer computers using a PCI-E / PCI-x expansion card that provides LPT and serial ports.

I can verify that this works as I have already set up a new computer that didn't have an onboard LPT port and used the drivers above in order to get the GravoStyle software to detect the dongle. The only issue I did run into is that the GravoStyle software seems to require a serial port on the motherboard because I believe the values are hard coded, but I will try this again when I have time in order to get it working with a serial port on a PCI-E / PCI-x expansion card.

I have not yet had a chance to test GravoStyle in Windows 7, but I believe that if it does run, you can get around the dongle not being found by using Sentinels drivers.

Hi Cole,

Thanks for that tip. I am running Gravostyle 5.3 and trying to upgrade my XP machines to Windows 7 Pro. Using the above mentioned drivers I am able to run Gravostyle using the parallel dongle in the PCI-E expansion port. The trouble now is that I can't seem to get Gravostyle to recognize the IS-8000 in the serial ports. I also have a USB IS control box but get the same results.

Any ideas?
    (6) Gravotech IS8000 Rotary Engravers
    (1) Trotech SP500 CO2 Laser
    (1) Mimaki UJF-7151 Plus UVLED Printer
    Gravostyle 8, CorelDraw 20

12. Hi Chad,

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I expect the Gravostyle software is having trouble using the serial port, or is using the wrong port all together.

I expect you have already tried this, but to get an idea of what has been tried already, have you tried to specify the serial port (that the IS8000 is connected to) to use in the Gravostyle software?
    As mentioned in my previous post, I expect the Gravostyle software has hard coded locations at which to find the serial port, this was common way back when windows 95 and 98 were new. I have not as yet had a need to try reverse this and get it working.

13. I had the same problem with IS400 and IS700.
    We had some upgraded GS98 LPT dongle that worked with GS 5.3.
    However, there was no chance to make this dongle work with Win7.
    Thus, we upgraded to GS7 with new dongle.
    It was reasonable price. About 350 euros.

I also have USB dongle that doesn't work with GS7 (they changed allowed dongle manufacturers ).

So, it all depends of dongle type. If it's Rainbow, there is no chance to make it work in Win7/GS7.
    Trotec Speedy 300 25W
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    Gravograph LS100 30W
    Gravograph LS500XL 40W
    Gravograph IS300
    Gravograph IS400
    Gravograph IS700

LPT dongles? I've always had USB dongles...

starting with Gravo 98 that's been upgraded twice to 5.0 and 5.3, plus I have another 5.3 that came with my used IS7000, and a 7 Discovery that came with my IS400.

Previously in this thread I mentioned editing the post processor, but never did get back to it... Now's my chance!

I've found that Win7 simply won't recognize, or "open" any installed printers from within Gravostyle after you insert it as a machine. When you go to connect to driver, GS says "can't open *** printer" or something to that effect. However, the program can still use the print drivers. What the program won't access isn't the printer itself but the SPOOLER. Why, I don't know.

Now for the post processor. When you click on "Engrave" and "configure machines", your printers should come up. Double click the printer you want, and the properties menu will come up, shown below the 'setup more' (post processor) dialog box in the pic. The "More" button brings you to the post processor as shown. Scroll down about 3 pages and you'll get to where I am here.
    What you're looking for specifically is "PORT=" and "PORTDESCR=" ---
    The port should equal "1", typically. However, sometimes another number makes it work, like 2 or 3 etc. depending on your ports. If the port equals zero, then it's shut off...
    The port description is very important, as it MUST MATCH THE EXACT NAME of your printer exactly! I've inset a screenshot snip from my computers "printers" menu, note all spacing and CAPS match.

You can change the port value and printer name right in the dialog box. Then save it...
    NOTE, to be safe, before messing with the post processor, you can copy the entire PP page and paste it in Notepad, then save it. If something goes awry after editing, you can always erase the PP dialog box and paste the notepad version back in.

Hope this is of some help.

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Hi to all:

I made it work perfectly under windows 7 after reading this post. I did configured it all and later, configuring the machine, changed the:
    PORTDESCR=mis impresoras\IS200
    to
    PORTDESCR=IS200

I was pretty happy and everything worked well.

The problem came after I did the upgrade to Windows 10, and now when I do the print to the tool, windows notifications says (translated from spanish)

Printer on error status
    'IS200' is in error status
    Any idea of the problem/sollution?