Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman 22124, should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    TOS Experpt:

"The forums at SawMill Creek are moderated. All posts are subject to moderation by our Members and Administrative Staff. Messages deemed offensive by any member may be reported to our staff by using the 'Report Post to Moderator' option. Any message that is reported to a moderator may be subject to removal, in whole or in part, at our staff's discretion.
    "

Moderators are volunteers who take a LOT of their time to do the job required of them. If they had to PM posters with reasons for each of their actions then the job would be unmanageable. It is the responsibity of all members to insure their posts are consistent with the Terms of Service. Decency has nothing to do with it.

Thanks Ken!!!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-11-2005 at 3:10 PM.

Also condider General Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    OK, I have looked at the Unisaw,600 more, the Jet,450 more, and the supersaw made me think the Craftsman with the Bessy fence had it beat. Even though I have 220 now I am planning on selling my home soon and have no idea what I will end up with. WW is a hobby with me, not having a job any more means a lot of free time and WW and my darkroom are the things I enjoy. I can get the 22124 on sale for 800.00 with the mobile base, so my question is, to those that have bought it and used it a bit, what do you think about it?
    Thanks for any imput. Scott
    The Craftsman by all accounts seems to be a good tool for a hobbyist. I doubt you would have any disappointments there.

Another good hobbyist option is the General Hybrid saw, good reviews by users as well. Just be sure to get the better fence.

If you have any thoughts about ever using woodworking to make money, then a used cab saw might be worth considering. Otherwise you'll likely never push a hybrid beyond its limits.

Work safe.

...That said, I guess I should have asked if any one had any negative thing to say about the Craftsman 22124, the tool, not the company.

[/font][/size]
    Scott, I've got a couple of minor complaints. The miter gauge has a very nice crosscut fence and clamp, but the gauge itself is average. The handwheels are metal, but the handles are plastic...not as nice as the polished chrome on my GI handwheels. The location of the arbor wrench hook is waaay toward the back under the wing. Also, it's silver, not green....no where's near as prestiges
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    Scott, I've got a couple of minor complaints. The miter gauge has a very nice crosscut fence and clamp, but the gauge itself is average. The handwheels are metal, but the handles are plastic...not as nice as the polished chrome on my GI handwheels. The location of the arbor wrench hook is waaay toward the back under the wing. Also, it's silver, not green....no where's near as prestiges
    HAHAHA, now THAT made me laugh

OK, I have looked at the Unisaw,600 more, the Jet,450 more, and the supersaw made me think the Craftsman with the Bessy fence had it beat. Even though I have 220 now I am planning on selling my home soon and have no idea what I will end up with. WW is a hobby with me, not having a job any more means a lot of free time and WW and my darkroom are the things I enjoy. I can get the 22124 on sale for 800.00 with the mobile base, so my question is, to those that have bought it and used it a bit, what do you think about it?
    Thanks for any imput. Scott

I bought the 22114, It's the same saw as the 22124 with out the Bies fence. I have been surprised by the quality of the saw. Alot of guys told me to stay away from Craftsman, but I took the plunge anyways.

The miter is a your basic run of the mill miter, nothing fancy......but it is accurate, and I have no plans on replacing it. The fence is as accurate as any other saw I have used. There isn't anything cheap built into the saw. Yes the plastic handles for the wheels could be replaced some day with a nice stainless or brass ones, but thats later on down the road. The stock blade has been a mild surprise, no tear out or burning on some of the oak, and maple that I have ran through it. All the alignments have been dead on out of the crate it came in. I played with the fence seeing how far off I could get it by resetting it numerous times and measuring from the blade and miter slots.
    My largest deflection was .005 from the miter slot and was tailing away from the slot.........no too shabby. I did this with a Starret Dial indicator.

The appearance of the saw is nice, ..........Overall its been a nice buy so far. I'd buy it again. Time will tell if this turns out to be where Sears/Craftsman finally start producing good saws again. So far.....I think its a winner.

Scott, I've been going through the same decision process myself. The only substantial negative I can see with the Craftmen is lower power. Of course, this only applies if you need it, and even then you can often work around it. If you were a professional wood worker, I'd recommend the best saw you could afford. Hobbyists have the luxury of determining the price point they are comfortable with and living with any downsides. I've been living with a 20+ year old Craftsman saw that has served me okay. I spend more time realigning things and checking tolerances, but it does the job. As a hobbyist, time is not as much an issue, so I can live with these shortcomings if I choose to. The good thing, is the 22124 has far fewer shortcomings.

As for price, the Craftsmen with a good sale, is significantly less than a comparably equiped Grizzly. From what I can figure the Grizzly will run you approx. 50% more. This is significant, at least from my point of view. Is the extra horse and a quarter worth approx. $400.00? That's my dilemma.

Thumbs up 22124

Scott,

Sorry it took me this long to become a member. I bought this saw in april and I looked around for over a year and this was the best deal around I could find. I have not had a lot of time to use it yet but it seems to have been a great choice. If you go to craftsmanclub and sign up for the news letter you can print out a coupon for 10 % off even club prices. During the year I was looking, I spoke to many people and saw a lot of saws, but the 22124 had them beat for price and accessories. Don't let other people influence your needs and be open to listen to what other people have to say and then figure out what you need. good luck and if I can be any help let me know.

You might also think about trying to find something used, a good old Delta iron is good. I personally wanted a beefier motor, so anything less than 3HP I would have been disappointed. I've never ran into a piece of wood 3HP could not handle.

As far as the comments about a new blade and mobile base, gonna need those with the Sears as well. The only concern I would have is long term support, as Sears seems to switch models much more frequent than when they built a solid image of solid tools... I've owned a few and found there were parts I needed as little as 5 years later and not able to buy. I think if you stay focused to a company who's sole purpose is to sell tools, not appliance, clothing, lawn care stuff, etc. you may find them a longer term solution. The saw itself seems to be good, but you do have to factor other things into it...otherwise you may be kicking something in 5 years. CS is also an issue in my opinion, I've not found an associate at Sears I can say I fully trust these days... especially when there is a problem. I can say the opposite with a number of other key brands.

Just an opinion, I'll leave my prefence for tool out of this discussion.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hate to dash a man's dreams. It's just that Cman hasn't provided the service in many a year.

Most of us started with Cman and many are producing wonderful projects with it.
    I'm just not good enough a WW to get it to do the right thing.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I am in general agreement with what you are saying. I believe each of us purchases the best value and quality we can afford (or are willing to spend) on this absolutely fabulous hobby. Regardless of what others think, if a particular machine or tool meets your needs, then by all means go for it. When someone posts a question regarding a particular brand/model, then only those who have first hand personal experience with using the same should respond. This will separate the facts from people who really know from the opinions of those who really don't know. All too often I see posts on this and other forums that a particular brand/model of tool is "better" than another. I would suggest that unless such posters have actually had significant operation time on both brands/models, they are categorically unqualified to make such a statement. You are absolutely correct that bashing of any brand or distributor is rude, unprofessional, unneccessary, and simply un-woodworkerlike (how about that for a new word). Just follow Seargent Friday's directions - "Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts."

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aurelio alarcon
    First of all, this post is directed to no one in particular. Secondly, I would recommend it. Darn right I would. To heck with the bashers. I'm not the least bit embarrased to state that I own Craftsman. If I'm not cool with the bashers, who cares. I surely don't. If its a good saw, then its a good saw. I don't bash any tool brands. And it is rude to insult others. It is one thing to give a negative review on a tool based on technical specs, but it is another just to bash for the saking of bashing.

When I read mean or rude remarks it sounds so distasteful. Most of us here are adults. And I think that we should carry ourselves as such.

Every once in a while I will read a post where a new member is joining this website because they say that it is a nice website where others are kind to one another and treat others with respect. It is so disappointing when one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

My statement here is not to insult any one who doesn't like Craftsman tools. You have every right to not like them. I just think that tact seems to be lacking every now and then. And if my statement doesn't apply to you, then relax. If it does, then try being nice to those who do own tools made by brands that don't suit your taste.

All of us work extremely hard for our money. And I think that it is very inconsiderate to insult people who use their hard earned money to purchase a tool of their choice.

If you've got information that supports a negative review, then post it!

No matter where you go, there will always be a few who will attempt to step on others and use them as a rung to lift themselves up.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just think that it should be stated in a tactful manner.

If I've stated anything, and I mean anything, that has insulted anyone, I haven't meant to. I respect you all!

And remember to always support our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    I think I would consider the Grizzly cabinet saw, which is, I think, under $1000, has a Bes. clone fence and a 3 hp motor if price is an issue. Since you live in the same stat Griz. calls home you might even be able to save on shipping. I know there are some folks here at the creek who are happy with their Sears, but having owned a RAS and TS from those folks, and now having a Jet cab. saw, the difference is night and day. Consider the TS: it cost around $550 when I bought it, required a $150 fence upgrade in order to be suitable for anything other than butchering wood, then needed balanced pullies, a link belt, would not stay aligned, and didn't have a standard miter slot. By the time it was upgraded to a level where it was useful I had almost $1k in it and it was still underpowered. I think Sears may be heading in the right direction now, selling some better name brand power tools, but I would be concerned about this unit until it has been in user's hands a few years.
    I don't mean this to sound like a snob statement but Cecil's Craftsman tablesaw odyssey is identical to my own right down to the after market fence and link belt. As someone mentioned, Sears seems to be attempting a comeback in the power tool arena and is getting some positive reviews but they will have to make a big comeback before I will allow anything of theirs that has a power cord back into my garage shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Scott,

I bought the 22124 several months ago, and I have absolutley no regrets.

Cons:
    Miter gauge (is a basic gauge really a "con"?)

The power cord inside of the cabinet that goes to the motor needs a hanger or something to secure it up and off of the sloped metal panel that is supposed to let the sawdust slide down to the DC port. It prevents a good bit of dust from making it's way out of the saw.

The Beis extension table is a little bowed. I called Orion support (excellent, BTW) and was promptly shipped a replacement (also not perfectly flat, but much closer). Apparently, Beis has problems building flat tables. Not Sears, or Orion's fault.

Pros:
    It runs very quiet. 84dB with my trusty sound meter at the operator's position (about 20" from the blade). I have used it with the girlfriend sleeping in the room directly above the saw without waking her.

It makes very clean cuts. I ripped some pine and poplar this evening, and am still amazed that the edges of boards come out smooth and shiny with no burning or blade marks whatsoever.

The Beis fence is spot on every time. I DO use the fence as the only measure for cuts. Pick your width, set the fence, and go.

Power - I ripped a 6' long, 8/4 old red oak board as fast as I cared to feed it with no bogging, slowing, etc. from the saw. If you press the folks saying "not enough power", they will eventually cede the fact that it IS enough power if you slow the feed rate a little. It's a hobby. Why would I be in a hurry?

The best pro:

$763 - 22124
    $673 - Griz 8" jointer
    $177 - Delta 22-560 12.5" planer (Redmond's recon)
    -----
    $1613 - Everything I need for flat, square, accurately milled stock

$1400 - Unisaw
    $100 - decent blade
    -----
    $1500 - And I would have had to find an 8" jointer AND a planer for $113

If I had bought the Unisaw, I might have regretted it...
    Michael

Scott,

As you can see, the saw has gotten some great reviews! I have a craftsman jobsite saw that has a much smaller motor than the one you are looking at. Something like 1hp. I have never had the saw burn wood, unless the blade was dull.

I have been watching for a super sale on this saw again... If I find it, I will probably buy it!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hi All,

This year I said goodbye to a old friend, my dads craftsman TS. That saw served him well and then was with me through many projects. I just got to the point where I wanted something better and was thinking about the future. I did take a long look at the new craftsmans. The bottom line was power. Ripping 8/4 maple and other hardwoods was a concern. Not to memtion being able to use any dado stack. So for me it was a full 3hp saw. Due to the deals offered by my local retailer I wound up with a X5 Unisaw with the 50"Beis fence. Any longing for my old craftsman friend left the first time I ran some wood through the new saw.

I would caution that you might want to consider not what you are making now but what you might make in the future. If you can aford the extra space and cost a 3hp saw can be well worth it for the long haul. Either way If you go with a craftsman make sure its the one with the Beismeyer fence, money well spent. Good Luck
    Let the wood speak!