Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Project You're Most Proud of?

This is one of my projects, and I'd have to say, as of now, 'most proud'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It's hard to pick a favorite. Here's a blanket chest I made for my married daughter and one ow two night stands I made for my wife.

Blanket Chest 2.jpgFinished Table2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Not necessarily all that proud of this one as I made too many mistakes along the way, however it is one of my favorite's. I always liked grandfather clocks but didn't feel I was comfortable/skilled enough to tackle such a project yet, so I decided on a mantle clock instead. Cherry with only a shellac finish.

It has a mechanical movement (wind-up). Kit was from Klockit, drawings and hardware.
    I love your clock Rick. I made a mantle clock as a house warming gift for my son & daughter-in-law, but I like the face of yours so much better. I was pretty satisfied with the case (I made it from a really nice single billet of tiger maple), but the face I picked was fairly plain. I originally picked it because I didn't want anything to detract from the case, but in retrospect, I think I would have preferred something with at least a little more character.

Clock Complete 2013-05-20A.jpgClock Complete 2013-05-20B.jpgClock Complete 2013-05-20C.jpgClock Complete 2013-05-20D.jpgClock Complete 2013-05-20E.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

This isn't my proudest necessarily - but it was my first attempt at inlay and it turned out nice enough that it inspired me to continue to do inlay on projects that came afterwards. This one get a lot of attention due to being on our dining table.

I just find it interesting that sometimes when we try something new - that "new" thing can influence our projects for years to come.

IMG_0939.jpg
    Stan

Cherry and QS sycamore jewelry chest I made for my mother and gave to her as a gift 2 Xmases ago. It was inspired by several jewelry chests my grandfather made for my aunts. He's still around, but he stopped making them before my mom ever got one, so I made a similar one but of my own design.

IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0536.jpg
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Archery case (Ascham):

wfa-archerycase-final_open.jpg

Needed a case to fit my Bear Custom Kodiak T/D and other gear, so my first project since high school shop three decades ago:

- 34 ˝” x 11 ˝” x ~3 ˝”
    - red oak boards and 1/8” plywood floating in grooves/dadoes
    - uses solid brass hardware throughout (save for the hidden (old-style Stanley) bullet catches and their strike plates, and Chinese rare earth magnets)—- handle: England, stay chain: Italy, hinges and ball catches: U.S.A., catches: Taiwan, corner protectors: unknown, probably China (the bow and everything else is made in the U.S., save for the arrows from Korea)
    - rare earth magnets in the arrow holder to keep the arrows in place
    - I’ve since installed brass corner protectors
    - dovetailed corners for the case, dowel joints for the arrow holder
    - all hand tools, save for an electric drill to drill the holes for the arrows

Had to pre-finish the arrowholder and inside of the case (incl. groove / dadoes) since the arrow holder is hinged on 3/8” dowels (lubricated w/ bee’s wax)

Next one will use rare earth magnets w/ a countersunk hole, so arrows can be slightly longer (but I’ll need to put some sort of washer or grommet in the countersink to keep points from chipping the magnet?)

I’d like to source (or make) formed (not flat) solid brass strike plates—- suggestions?

I’d also like to find a key lock which would fit in the less than ˝” stock.

The next version won’t have the dividers (instead, I’ll make a wooden box and brass clips to hold it in place on the right) and I’ll probably shorten the arrow holder so it falls at the half-way mark. I’ll also probably inset the catches. It also won’t be ebonized—- suggestions for dark finishes for red oak?.

Considered insetting the corner protectors and countersinking screws to attach them, but that’s a lotof screws.

Still not happy w/ the foam insert I cut (and I’ve since replaced the black cloth w/ green felt)—- considering making one of papier mache and covering that w/ flocking—- other alternatives?

Blog Entries

Current Favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Vespi View Post
    As many know I am just getting my feet wet and with any endeavor there are joys & setbacks. Perhaps you can share some of your masterpieces with a little story about what it took you to get there. I'd love to see pictures too!
    This is my favorite at the moment.

Loaded.jpgTop Detail.jpgGuitar drawer with Acoustic.jpgOblique.jpgTop with Acoustic.jpg

This time next year I hope to have a new favorite.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    This is my favorite. Waterfall Bubinga with walnut.
    Bubinga Table1.jpgBubinga Table.jpg
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    This isn't my proudest necessarily - but it was my first attempt at inlay and it turned out nice enough that it inspired me to continue to do inlay on projects that came afterwards. This one get a lot of attention due to being on our dining table.

I just find it interesting that sometimes when we try something new - that "new" thing can influence our projects for years to come.

IMG_0939.jpg
    Now that is really something Stan. I think it is a great design, and a very bold statement on the table top. It's beautiful!

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Cherry and QS sycamore jewelry chest I made for my mother and gave to her as a gift 2 Xmases ago. It was inspired by several jewelry chests my grandfather made for my aunts. He's still around, but he stopped making them before my mom ever got one, so I made a similar one but of my own design.

IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0536.jpg
    Fantastic job Chris! I'm sure your mom loved it, and that your dad is very proud of the way you have continued in his footsteps.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    This is my favorite at the moment.

Loaded.jpgTop Detail.jpgGuitar drawer with Acoustic.jpgOblique.jpgTop with Acoustic.jpg

This time next year I hope to have a new favorite.
    Shawn... THAT IS FREAKIN AWSOME!!!!!!!!!! Despite it's size, it has a lightness because of the "floating" cases within their frames. The wood is gorgeous too. WOW!!

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    This is my favorite. Waterfall Bubinga with walnut.
    Bubinga Table1.jpgBubinga Table.jpg
    Who doesn't love Bubinga? The grain matching is really nice. Cool design, I really like it.

Stew Hagerty

My dad wanted a big desk, so we went back and forth forever to refine a design, finally got it detailed out:

White oak burl tops, crotch oak doors, figured oak panels, and quartersawn framing:

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Alex, are there drawers just at the end sections? It would appear from the front you couldn't open more otherwise.

It is tough to see, and I don't have any good photos of the finished setup on the drawers, but the end cabinets are set up so you could put a computer in either one. There are vent holes in the bottom of the cabinet, and the underside of each is fitted with a slot for an air filter, and on the inside (where your feet go) are ports for USB powered fans. So when you turn on the computer, the fans turn on, pull fresh air in through the filter and circulate it in the cabinet.

Each cabinet is set up this way, and there is a removable/modular drawer unit that can fit in either side opposite of where the computer is, so you can switch which side you want the drawers, and which side you want the computer.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"