Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Project You're Most Proud of?

A lot of really nice projects on here. I think the one I'm most proud of is my houseIMG_3204.jpg It took myself & wife to build 3 years & the second project that took a lot of thought & time was these Shoji doors IMG_6181-2.jpg The two on the ends slide behind the ones in the middle. On the right is a closet & left is a bathroom. The two end ones are double sided so they look the same on the inside. They're made from poplar died black & the bottom panels that don't show up to good are Macassar Ebony veneer.

I love the doors, especially the window design; looks like it compliments the windows above. I think the contrast in the black died doors with the window trim above looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Gregory, that rocker is simply stunning. I'm at a loss for words, but I like everything about it! I especially love the spindles in the back and the way you symmetrically tapered the carving on the tops from the center. Care to divulge a finish schedule for it?
    The craftsmanship is mine, but the design is 100% Hal Taylor. If you like the chair, I would highly recommend you consider contacting him for plans to build one yourself. He is quite a mentor.

The finish schedule is really easy - just labor intensive. Hand sand everything down to 1000 grit until the chair glows / shines like a new penny. Hand rub Danish Oil as a finish. DONE! The wood color you see is the natural color of the sappelle. I made the chair from a single board - had to cut it in half to get it in my SUV

Last edited by Gregory Peterson; 01-15-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Typically we are prototyping new boat designs and don't put the kind of effort I would like into craftsmanship because the goal is to get it on the water and tested. On this boat and its bigger brother, we were shooting a DVD on how to build them at the time, so that gave me the opportunity to slow down a bit and give a little attention to the details.
    This particular boat style has been on my to do list for many years simply because they are beautiful. They are technically a Wherry, however most refer to them as a Whitehall because they were originally built in the Whitehall section of NY. They have a long and distinguished history here in the Northeast US. I go the original lines from a very old book. These types of boats were originally meant to carry heavy loads in the harbors of NY, Charleston, Boston and the like so I had to make some modifications to the hull shape to make them more of a recreational boat than a working boat, however I didn't compromise the look of the boat at all. In fact, unless you were a designer or loftsman, I doubt you could tell the difference from the originals.

On launch day, this boat and its longer, slimmer brother were just a delight to row, incredibly fast and kept a true track with almost no effort at all. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

IMG_0472.jpgIMG_0476.jpgwhitehall.jpg
    Jackbat

Beautiful chair....I really like the boats also....There was a time I thought I'd build one for my wife to row around but I haven't had the time. I was looking at almost the same design made by Duck Trap Woodworking in Maine. I'd be interested in the DVD when it's ready....

HMMMM, not sure if this is allowed and I don't want to incur the wrath of the moderator, so forgive me and let me know if this is not allowed but I don't want to ignore you.

The DVD has been done and available for over a year and is probably the production that I am most proud of. We put a great deal of effort behind this production, it took over a year to film and spent about 2 months in post production. We wanted to make sure that it absolutely covered every aspect of the building process so that home builders would feel confident (and so we didn't get thousands of support calls). As a consequence, it turned out to be a 4 DVD set and over 10 hours long. It has been said that I am long winded. My philosophy is better too much info than not enough.

You can find the DVD set here at Sandy Point Boat Works and the one you are looking for is called "Whitehalls and Wherries"

Again, not trying to break the rules here.
    Jackbat

I really like this table. Its not too often that feel that I managed all the details correctly…best use of stock, to joinery, proportions in the design, fairness of the curves…and I think i nailed this one.

IMG_3476.jpgIMG_3482.jpg

Mother Nature did most of the work on this Asian ebony box,I was grateful to be given the chance to work this rare piece of wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a beautiful box, and as you said, quite awesome material to start with. It must have been a difficult choice to decide which side of the lid panel to use for the outside surface? Did you have the same option with the bottom panel? Where did you source your hardware?

What an unusual piece. Nicely done.
    Jackbat

Gun stock for dad

Most proud of this shotgun stock I made as a surprise gift for my dad. He did not get to shoot it much before he fell I'll but he showed it to a lot of people and I know he was proud of me for being able to make it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt, love those dovetails !!

i guess i am most proud of my rocking horses that i designed on my own...

.CHR_4838amed.jpgno4othersidemed.jpg

Alex,

Where did you get all that amazing oak?

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    My dad wanted a big desk, so we went back and forth forever to refine a design, finally got it detailed out:

White oak burl tops, crotch oak doors, figured oak panels, and quartersawn framing:

Here is my latest work, very pleased how it came out. Should be filled with my new grandson shortly.

20140126_161336.jpg 20140126_160742.jpg 20140126_161109.jpg 20140126_161229.jpg 20140126_160649.jpg 20140126_160747.jpg
    Last edited by jeff wilder; 02-05-2014 at 8:57 AM.