Thread: DWS535 Worm drive gloat

DWS535 Worm drive gloat

Stopped by Lowes for a dryer cord and this saw was lying on the clearance table with a $75 price tag. Not a return or reconditioned, but missing manual, blade and blade wrench. I assume it was the display.

DWS535_1.jpg
    I've never had a worm drive. It feels solid and a little heavy compared to the $39 Skil saws I tend to buy (and drop off the roof). I'll try not to do that with this one. From the reviews I've read, it looks like a keeper, but I can take it back if there is a reason to. Anything bad to say about this saw?

Only thing bad to say is "You got it instead of me" If you get around any major construction sites, nearly the only saws you see are worm drives. More often than not, the user will have the board on horses and be using the saw in one hand and holding the board on a slant tilted down away from him with the other. The weight of the saw feeds it through the cut and about all the operator has to do I steer it which is easy with the handle to the rear of the saw. NOTE! I didn't say this is the safest way to cut with it but works very well for someone that does it ever day and is used to it.
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 12-31-2013 at 8:05 PM.

I bought the model that has the more inclined motor that makes the saw shorter at an auction. Even then, it is quite front heavy. It will cut thru most anything and throw sawdust in your face while doing it, due to the left side blade. I still have my traditional saw and only reach for the worm drive when I need the power.

John

I got a Skilsaw wormdrive (Mod 77) a long time ago. Heavy? YES, but sometimes that's a good thing. After I got used to it, most other saws I've used seemed sort of flimsy.

The characteristic that impresses me most is that it just wants to cut in a straight line--much easier than with regular saws. Push it and it goes right on the cut line, seemingly without guidance.

Congratulations on what appears to be a super deal!

IMO that is the best saw on the market and I've had a few.. I've used mine for everything from heavy demolition, (like cutting through 7 layers of asphalt shingles on 3/4" CDX and all the nails) to cutting cabinet ply.. Recently cut all the lumber for a house that I added 1000sf 2nd story addition too... Also used it to cut all the hardie plank cement fiber siding with a diamond blade for the entire 3000sq home... Its still going strong..

Be advised though, that saw has some serious torque if you've not run a worm drive before.. The blade wont stop if you bind it up...Can be dangerous if your not ready for it... But you'll love having a saw with the blade on the correct side if your right handed... Now if only my track saw was setup that way I'd be in heaven..

Great deal good gloat..!!

Al

Where do you find the tool mark down table at Lowes and HD? I don't find a mark down table at my Lowes or HD. George
    Last edited by George Bokros; 12-31-2013 at 8:20 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks for all the responses.

George, around here, the BORGs set up a folding table in the front aisle whenever they want to get rid of something. Usually the deals are just okay. I have been wanting a worm drive for over 30 years and have never seen one under $100, so I took a chance. I passed on a Hitachi 9" angle grinder on the same table marked at $20.00 because it had a few more parts missing and because I already have a nice PC.

I installed a blade and did a test cut. Everything is in good working order. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good with a cheapo Skil saw. I'm going to have to learn it all over - blade and sawdust on the other side, weight, startup torque and the business Allen Grenz warned about if the blade binds.

I'm a recent convert to DeWalt and so far I am really appreciating the price/quality ratio. I think the only exception is the chuck on my three 18v NiCad 1/2 " drills.

I haven't found a manual online yet. Anyone know what oil to use in the worm drive? I'm guessing 80-90 gear oil, but wouldn't want to mess it up.

Doug you should be good on hypoid oil.. On that model you only need to change it if leaks or get contaminated, if I remember right... I have hundreds of hours on mine and when I went to check change oil this is what I recall..

If you can wait through the holiday I will look in the manual for exactly what it says in regards to oil..

Wow, that is an outstanding deal! Good enough that I may have to check the local Lowes to see if I can duplicate it.

I've been wanting a worm drive circular saw for quite awhile to replace/augment my 30-some year old Craftsman. I've had a Porter Cable 314 worm drive trim saw for years and love how quiet and smoothly it runs. It works great for roughing sheet goods to manageable sizes.

I'd bet worm drives would work very well with home made saw guides as well. Like John, I have a P-C 314 that I use with a home made saw board. I believe that because the base is longer than it is wide (when looking at direction of travel) it tracks along the straight edge very nicely, doesn't want to twist like a 'sidewinder' can if you're not careful.