Thread: New Lathe Rebuild done

New Lathe Rebuild done

Well it's running. Bought this Union Graduate about 4 months ago. Cleaned and repainted put 2hp,3ph,1725rpm motor and VFD in it. A friend built the control box has fwd-stop-rev switch,VS control,emergency stop switch and jog fwd and rev, 4 rare earth mags hold it on the lathe. The blue tarp when open keeps the shavings from flying all over the tool bench,man did I have a mess before.DSCN0951.jpgDSCN0952.jpgDSCN0953.jpgDSCN0955.jpgDSCN0959.jpgDSCN0954.jpg
    If anyone is looking for a place to put tools. This tool box thing from Harbor Freight really works good,this thing holds allot of tools and still moves easy.But the caster have to be changed cause the originals smell REALLY BAD.
    DSCN0960.jpgDSCN0961.jpg
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 12-31-2013 at 2:29 PM.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Nice looking bowl lathe! How much does it weigh? The base looks like it may be a little small, but hard to tell from the pictures. I hope it is stable for you.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Looks really nice, Harry. I didn't realize they turned the opposite direction from spindle lathes. Does it have left hand spindle threads? Or am I missing something?

what keeps it from walking across the floor???

Looks good. It definitely is bigger that the little Jet on the floor. What size bowl can you turn? What is weight and is base full of sand for ballast?

There's a bed that can go on the other side and you can turn regularly on that side.
    Left hand threads on the side your seeing, Right hand on the bed side.
    This thing is one solid cast iron lathe it ways about 380# and is very stable.It's 5/8 to3/4 thick one casting.
    The English have used these lathes for sense 1947 or 8 and all the top English turners used these lathe,the VB36 was actually modeled after the Graduate.
    The reason you don't see them is the people who have them don't get rid of them and when one does come up for sell their very expensive.
    can turn 20" bowl and only the motor is in side at the bottom for balancing.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 12-31-2013 at 8:05 PM.

I take it that it didn't come with the inboard table for bowl turning. Will the table work on both sides? Great job on the restoration. That is one of the best from the past. Dennis White and many other famous English turners regarded them as the only lathe to turn on.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Blog Entries
    Harry ,in picture 6 what is the round box ? I use clear shower curtains that way i can find the broom when i leave it in the wrong place and they store nicely . Nice looking lathe , You should enjoy playing with it .
    Last edited by john taliaferro; 01-02-2014 at 4:13 PM.

Nice rebuild on a solid looking machine!

But that clean toolbox is shameful. First thing I'd do is dump a handful of shavings in there just to do you a favor!

Have fun!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

John T.
    The box your seeing is a emergency stop and full cut-off switch to stop power before the VFD. The shower curtains is what I was going to use but HF had these tarps on sale for $2.99 with a 25 % coupon so blue tarps it is.

Really cool yeah. I,ve always wanted one with modern electronics like yours. Great design-- Also a tailstock mounts like and where he has the tool rest on the front side I think the tailstock allows a 16" piece of wood?? John is showing the outboard side---most of the tailstock ect is hidden here. They were also made with a long bed. How about more pics John oh and I am jealous.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 01-02-2014 at 10:34 PM.

I like it. It looks like the same lathe that Raffan is using in the book "Turning Wood" put out in 1985. You have done a wonderful job restoring it and seem to have a great friend with some electrical know how too. Congratulations.

Nice lathe, Harry. It is so cool to restore an old peice of equipment.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Man, I would love a Graduate. Great job in the refurb.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"