Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torsion box workbench for hand tool use?

Torsion box workbench for hand tool use?

I was all set to use a laminated douglas fir top for my new workbench (basically hand tool only use), but I asked for tips on ripping the lumber without a table saw over in the general woodworking forum and they explained a myriad of difficulties I will have staying accurate, wood warping, etc. Several people recommended a torsion box design made out of plywood. It sounds like a great idea, keeps it flat and light... but is it really suitable for a hand-tool bench? I'm afraid it may not be stout enough? Also it causes some additional design difficulties like how to attach the face vise or make dog holes work.

Anyone have experience with benches like this? Or should I scrap the idea and just try to laminate 2x4s?

I was in that thread. Just laminate up some 2x stock.

Torsion boxes aren't the best for hand tool work. Specifically the voids in the torsion setup when chopping. Had an argument with someone about how much flex and found an engineer to ask. Turns out the voids waste a ton of energy by flexing.

I read the other thread too. I agree that a solid top would be a better choice for hand tool work. It is going to be heaver than the same volume torsion box. Holes for dogs and holdfasts also become more complicated with a torsion box, as you noted.

If you give yourself enough wiggle room you can use BORG lumber; it seems there have been several builds in which that was done.

Mike

This is one of my favorite reference threads for a bench using borg lumber

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nch-mucho-pics!

Also, I think you mentioned trying to get 3 pieces from each 2x12. Probably better to pick boards from close to center of the tree, then rip out the middle and get 2 boards, 1 from each side

I've been following that thread as well...

Simply laminate up 2x4s. Be very selective when picking the 2x4s and only use the straightest, most knot-free ones in the pile. And if there aren't enough, go back in a few days and pick through another lift.

Laminate them together, roundovers and all. You'll need to flatten the top anyways and softwood planes pretty easily. The bottom doesn't need near as much love as the top.

The 2x4s will have a relatively high moisture content when you bring them home and will want to dry fairly quickly. Laminate them as soon as possible after you get them home. Even a 3 day delay will result in warpage that may make a few of the 2x4s unusable.

Laminated together, the.warpage will be more controlled. You may need to do a couple of additional flattenings over the first 3 months as the moisture content reaches equilibrium.

For $25 or $30 in lumber, 2x4s will make a good benchtop. And if you decide to upgrade it to something harder down the road, you can easily repurpose the slab.

You can make a proper bench with the locally sourced lumber.

It will help if you select boards that have more quartersawn volumes, and rip them to remove any pith.
    It's an extra step to insure stability that the torsion box design seeks to avoid.

Search Joshua Finn workbench to see a professional take an this alternative.

I would not follow that approach, but rather would build a laminated plywood top as built by Paul Miller.

He was kind enough to provide a SketchUp model of his clever V8 Wedge powered workbench.
    If I were building my first bench - I would build one like Paul's.

If you haven't read Chris Schwarz's workbench you may want to read those first particulary the Workbench Design Book which has a bench made of laminated plywood which would be easier than a top laminated of lumber.

The bench I am currently using isn't a "proper" traditional bench meaning that it doesn't have a face vice or end vice. I am planning to build a new bench. In the area I live I can get rough ash or maple for $2 or less per board foot but this is going to be my "first" bench. I could envision selling or giving it away when I have a desire for a different design. So I went to the local home center and looked at lumber. The blue box has southern yellow pine in my area. Schwarz's $175 ($280 with inflation) workbench uses eight 2x8x12s which are about $100. That would be suitable for a test bench or maybe the only bench. If you look at lumber as the lengths get longer and the widths wider the pieces are clearer and straighter. You could always rip it with a circular saw either freehand or with a masonite/plywood sawguide. Either way they will need to be jointed for squareness and planed to flatness.

Jared,

You should probably start a post about your bench goals that discusses the bench, what it will be for and what tools and space you have and your skills. Getting Schwarz's workbench book is a great start if you do not have it already. Schwarz's book has two bench builds in it, one is an English workbench that may be an appropriate option to consider.

+1 on the Blue Bench book from Schwarz. The English/Nicholson bench is a type of torsion box that is appropriate for hand tool use. A couple of popular ones that aren't threshed out as much in that book are the Klaus/Tage/Fried or 'German' (i.e. European Tradition) bench and the Shaker Bench. There's a good journal of one being built over on woodtalkonline.org. It is one with drawers underneath that isn't for everyone. Each comes with it's own strengths and weaknesses. Of course this is coming from someone who's still deciding which to build lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    Jared,

You should probably start a post about your bench goals that discusses the bench, what it will be for and what tools and space you have and your skills. Getting Schwarz's workbench book is a great start if you do not have it already. Schwarz's book has two bench builds in it, one is an English workbench that may be an appropriate option to consider.

Almost forgot. Recent new member here and long time member over there, Graham (gshaydon) has a project journal on building the Nicholson/English bench on that site with several videos.

I really appreciate all the help. I have read that book, but the reason I looked away from the english bench is because the apron makes it difficult (or impossible) to clamp things to the bench top.

I would not let that concern stop you, if it's the best choice. I think you'd find there are a number of fast, easy methods to clamp to the bench.

I think I saw in one of your previous posts that you live in an apartment. Making a bench was probably the messiest project I've done to date because of all the sawdust shavings, cutoffs, etc..., that resulted from the construction. I would suggest looking at buying a ready-to-use laminated top, and possibly designing a knock-down construction of the legs and stretchers. It might also be worth asking a local cabinet shop if they would make the top in fir construction lumber for a reasonable price. The shortest most affordable path to a useful bench in your present habitat might take a little more forethought and a compromise of the ideal bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
    I really appreciate all the help. I have read that book, but the reason I looked away from the English bench is because the apron makes it difficult (or impossible) to clamp things to the bench top.

Blog Entries
    I have come to like a minimal apron on my bench. Though not as tall as the apron on the traditional Nicholson bench.

If you are considering laminated borg wood take a stroll by the 2X3s. When I had a lot of light framing to do I would go by them every time and look at the ends for straight grained pieces. I would always straighten up the stacks when I was done. That is appreciated by the folks working there.

When putting things like this together it is also a good idea to run a plane over each piece to get a feel for the best direction to plane. Mark it and then get them all aligned for the glue up. Once it is a solid top it will be easier to get the top smooth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I haven't invested the time in the other threads, but I have a modest proposal.
    This worked for me in a very tiny workspace. In 1972. It was meant to be a port in my particular storm but I'm still using the bench.

Acquire two 8/4 Maple boards. 8 inches wide will do nicely.
    Join then edge to edge. Dowels or splines. I prefer splines. It helps if the two boards plane properly in the same direction.

You can set or screw from below to a structure of 4X4 posts.

It is then trivial to add a vise or remove a corner and build in a traditional tail vise from scratch. Drill or chop dog holes along the front.

It will take flattening, of course. You can inlay ( or not ) two support boards under the workbench, say maple 2 X 4's, running front to back.

This IS a workbench. Maple of this sort is still available mail-order or with a creative drive to a nearby mill.

That is an excellent idea. Sometimes the simple solutions just slip right by me as I strain my brain working through needlessly-complex ones. I even know this place in Mesa like 15 minutes away that I'm pretty sure sells 8/4 maple.

Oh and there is no way I'm building this in my tiny apartment. My fiance would murder me. I'm driving the materials to my parents house an hour away and using their garage. I will attach the top to the base with lag bolts and then reassemble it in my apartment.