Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tool You Ever Owned

Best Tool You Ever Owned

Being a Toolaholic, one is always on the prowl for a great tool. So folks tell us the best tool or two you ever owned?

Mine is most likely the Powermatic 143.

DSCN0530.jpg

For me, a 1939 Unisaw and a 60's vintage Acme 2C edge sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bohn View Post
    For me, a 1939 Unisaw and a 60's vintage Acme 2C edge sander.
    Keith, didn't you post pictures of that Unisaw on OWWM?

JET 12" bandsaw. Small as it is, Ive still done a lot of work using her and I just love that baby. Also have to include my ancient Delta contractor saw with a 52" Biesemeyer and a Forrest blade. What a great tool.

As I get into the swing of using hand tools, I expect to see a hand plane or two make my list, so ask us again next New Years, Rich!

Happy New Year, everyone.
    Fred

That's easy - my 1.75 hp Professional grade SawStop tablesaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Keith, didn't you post pictures of that Unisaw on OWWM?
    Yes. It's my avatar on that forum.

7. Plain old hickory handled hammer my dad gave me fifty years ago. The hammer has built a many a project and smashed my fingers several times also.

Based on return on investment, it would be my Hf multitool. That thing has made me a ton of money in my business, for less than $30 investment. In the shop, it's my shop made Biesemeyer fence clone, followed closely by my "Wood" cyclone, with automatic control in the panel box.

Can't say it is the best tool but it is definitely one of the most useful. That is my Shop Fox 10", 6x48 belt-disc sander. I do about as much metal working as wood working and it gets used a lot for both. Shorten a piece of wood or metal, straighten a cut, smooth a board or weld, remove mill slag, sharpen twist drill bits, chisels, pencils, soapstone, punches, the list goes on and on. Would hate to be without it.
    Best tool is probably my Clausing cabinet saw. Had Unisaws and they were great but still have the Clausing. Guess that says what I think of it!

CNC machine I built.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Easily my low angle jack from Lee Valley. Followed by my Bad Axe sash saw.
    Paul

A 90 year old Stanley No. 4....along with a few classes in learning how to sharpen and use it! Thanks Mike Siemsen.

I absolutely love my used Lie-Nielsen Skew Block plane. It is a very versitle plane and has saved my butt many times.
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/block-pla...w-block-plane/

Stanley 60 1/2. There is no project this tool hasn't seen.

Peter

A 1948 Unipoint RAS.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14622

...except mine is way better than that guy's because I have the factory base to go with it (complete with a 90 pound bag of Portland cement to stop it from tipping over).

It's the baby brother of the current Northfield models, Northfield bought the company out that invented the design in the early 50s.

Its cast parts are a magnesium alloy, so it doesn't really rust, just kinda works up its own lubricant dust like lead would do. I looked forever for one before finding it from a guy in Memphis, I use it for general crosscut use and more importantly, making mortises for door frames. Pretty good for miters, too, it'd be fantastic for a picture frame shop.