Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tool You Ever Owned

Incredible collection of wonderful machines. I enjoyed the tour - thanks for sharing.

my festool domino - it does things that I lack the skill to do as well without it

runner up - 5 HP powermatic reversible shaper with digital readout & power feeder -

Mine would be my PM 66 cabinet saw but if I were wishing I would move into Jack's shop. Wow!
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Longevity: my Makita 10" sliding miter saw (older model) it got me started in woodworking and has cut thousands of boards. I just purchased some Lie-Nielsen and Veritas planes and they have quickly became my favorite tools to use. I have never owned or used hand tools extensively before and after the first cut with a sharp plane I was hooked!
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Next time the wife complains about the tools taking too much room in the garage, I will start showing pictures of Jack's tools. Either that will calm her or she will let me build a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Incredible collection of wonderful machines. I enjoyed the tour - thanks for sharing.

Is no one going to help me pick the best tool i am haveing a real hard time

and to make it harder for me there are these ones too

1935 SpeedAx wood metal band saw

the Maka fully auto swing chisel mortiser the fast cleanest mortiser every made

Engelberg 5 hp 10" wide water fall sander

26" Wadkin RM over under pattern makers planer

oh i could go on but that would be showing off

please some help me pick the best
    jack
    English machines

Hands down.....

snowblower....

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Best tool I ever owned is easy….

Also one of my most often used tools that I get pleasure just using

JeffD

A little out of the norm, but my favorite is a tool that I almost always have on my belt - a Leatherman Wave.
    ~Garth

Mac Powerbook Pro. It's the first tool I use on every project, its how I work, its how I'm viewing this presently. Sketchup comes in a close second. I could imagine working on just about any saw, machines come and go, methods vary depending on the job and tools available. But w/o the computer…I'm sunk. Ok, I started off drawing longhand, and could probably still do so again, though it would take a very strange twist of events to make me do so. If they ever try to get me to work on a Wintel box……that .357 may come in handy. Its gotta be a mac.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 01-02-2014 at 3:21 PM.

My favorite based on ease of use, accuracy, and definitely the most bang for the buck is my shop built horizontal router mortiser. 30 years of woodworking and I finally have found a mortising machine that meets all of my needs, costs almost nothing and is easy to build, and is small and portable.

John

IMG_8865.JPG

My circular saw edge guide combo.
    It fits in a corner, requires zero adjustment
    and aligns, every time.

It's a tool I never think about when I'm using it - that's my ideal, it's transparent to the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    I could go on but that would be showing off.
    My thoughts exactly. I want to know where you live in order to purchase stock in your local electrical company.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    A 1948 Unipoint RAS.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14622

...except mine is way better than that guy's because I have the factory base to go with it (complete with a 90 pound bag of Portland cement to stop it from tipping over).

It's the baby brother of the current Northfield models, Northfield bought the company out that invented the design in the early 50s.

Its cast parts are a magnesium alloy, so it doesn't really rust, just kinda works up its own lubricant dust like lead would do. I looked forever for one before finding it from a guy in Memphis, I use it for general crosscut use and more importantly, making mortises for door frames. Pretty good for miters, too, it'd be fantastic for a picture frame shop.
    That thing looks like it has eaten more than a few fingers in the past and is still hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I want to know where you live in order to purchase stock in your local electrical company.

perhaps your money would be better spent on tools
    jack
    English machines