Thread: 3 Juniper Lidded Vases

3 Juniper Lidded Vases

Happy New Year everyone. These three vases are made from wood taken from my son in law's back yard in the Minneapolis area. The heart wood is bright purple when freshly cut but does brown overtime. The lid on the tallest one has an ebony finial while the dark wood on the others is ebonized Walnut. They are 10, 12, and 10.5" and finished with Wipe on Poly. C&C are welcome.

IMG_3800 (1024x768).jpg

A very nice set of vases Marc, well done and thanks for sharing
    Have fun and take care

Very Very nice. Love the wood and you work,really nice
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

4. Very interesting Marc! The flareouts on the lids and wings are really a different topper style than seen most of the time. I like different. These are well made pieces. The juniper is pretty wood.

While some might nitpick finial size or curvature at the base, these show skillful craftsmanship.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beautiful vases, the wood and design work well together.

Thanks for your kind comments. The wood is very nice to turn, but is fragrant, leaving my shop smelling kind of like a pet store.

I like! Good forms.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

These are very well done, IMO. I like the shape/contour of the vases and the design element on the shoulder. The finials don't appeal to my taste, though. I wish I could get my WOP finishes to come out like yours.

Very nice Marc, I like the one in the middle with the flanged lid but not the final ...
    John 3:16

Lovely vases. I love the wood and the finished you used on this. Well turned out vases. Nicely shaped.

Problem WOP over Cedar

Marc, I like them all including the finials. Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Himes View Post
    Happy New Year everyone. These three vases are made from wood taken from my son in law's back yard in the Minneapolis area. The heart wood is bright purple when freshly cut but does brown overtime. The lid on the tallest one has an ebony finial while the dark wood on the others is ebonized Walnut. They are 10, 12, and 10.5" and finished with Wipe on Poly. C&C are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    These are very well done, IMO. I like the shape/contour of the vases and the design element on the shoulder. The finials don't appeal to my taste, though. I wish I could get my WOP finishes to come out like yours.
    What Eric said. For some reason I can't get WOP to dry on the Eastern Red Cedar that I occasionally turn. Generally speaking I have to pre-seal it with lacquer before using WOP.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

"The best things in life are not things."

I have not had much problem using WOP on the Juniper but did use a spray spar urethane initially as a sanding sealer. I apply the WOP, let it dry and use 1500-2400 Micromesh between each coat. It usually takes abut 6-8 coats to get the desired finish. I can apply a coat every 12-24 hours.

Thanks for the comments. The lids with finials were to be a little different than usual. Some like them and some don't, but they were fun and a bit of a challenge to do. I wanted them to be a set but each one different.