Thread: Remote controls dust collection

Remote controls dust collection

I have a shop Fox remote control for my 220 voltdust collector. Recently encountered this problem. One of theremote transmitters would start up the DC but as soon as I released the switch,it would quit. The other transmitter would not work at all.

Openedit up to replace the battery and before doing that, tried the other remote andit worked fine as intended. Put a new battery in the other remote andsame problem -- it starts the DC but as soon as you release the start switch,the DC motor shuts down. And the other remote doesn't work.

Okaystrange, took the battery out of the one with the startup but not continuousrun problem and the other remote now works. So for some strange reasonthe good remote works only when the other remote does not have a battery in it.

Ofcourse I found to replace it, Shop Fox does not offer replacements.

Hate to buy a whole new setup just to have two working remotes so I wondered is their anyway of fixing the bad remote or finding another remote that would operate the DC?

Jerry,
    I had remote control issues (not exactly like yours)about 3 months ago. I got in touch with Jim at Fernbrook(Company) in Otto, NC. He was extremely helpful and helped me resolve my issues with remote/transmitter not working properly, Address and Info below. They do sell replacement remotes and transmitter parts.
    Jim

Phone (W) 828-524-6125
    (C) 828-508-8673

Fernbrook
    105 Rock Lake Road
    Otto, NC 28763

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Jerry,
    I had remote control issues (not exactly like yours)about 3 months ago. I got in touch with Jim at Fernbrook(Company) in Otto, NC. He was extremely helpful and helped me resolve my issues with remote/transmitter not working properly, Address and Info below. They do sell replacement remotes and transmitter parts.
    Jim

Phone (W) 828-524-6125
    (C) 828-508-8673

Fernbrook
    105 Rock Lake Road
    Otto, NC 28763

Jim, does he work on or supply any of the other brands? I'm missing a remote for my onieda.

Steve,
    Actually my dust collection is an Oneida also. He does have those. In fact when I looked back later and found my old remote box, it was actually made/supplied by Fernbrook.

Jim

Steve,
    It sounds like the switch in the "bad" remote is stuck. If you can take the remote apart, you may be able to free it up.
    Kerry

I'm not sure what remote you have as I don't have a shop fox but sounds like Kerry hit it. If the "off" contact in the switch is stuck in on the bad remote, the start side may be over riding it as long as you hold it on the good remote. When the battery is removed from the bad one, it takes care of the problem. Its sending a continuous stop signal and may be what killed the battery in it in the first place? Can't say for sure but if your manual has a print, post it for us and maybe we can help? Sometimes its a .50 fix with Radio Shack parts?
    Last edited by shane lyall; 01-04-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks Jim, I'll give him a call. Took it apart last night and the switches seem to work okay. No current flowing through them until actually switched on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Jerry,
    Jim

Phone (W) 828-524-6125
    (C) 828-508-8673

Fernbrook
    105 Rock Lake Road
    Otto, NC 28763