Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a Band Saw

Looking to get a Band Saw

So I have completed step 1 of going to a table sawless workshop (sold my saw). Now its time to buy a bandsaw. I have decided that given my budget I am going to try and get the best 14" I can. I think I am going to go used as I have basically $400 to spend. I was tempted because Grizzly is only about an hour or so from me, but for the saw plus gas and tax, I would be upwards of $600 unless I went with there most basic saw which is 3/4hp and single speed.

I have a couple of options around me right now and wanted to pass them by you all.
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/4363908092.html
    http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/4383868740.html
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/4365868233.html

The first one is definitely an older saw. Not sure if that is better or worse. The Ridgid is only 10 minutes from me. The guy said he would go $250 but was pretty firm. I have ready mix reviews on these saws. The craftsman looks heavier than the one they make now and it says its 1.5hp. He has the miter gauge but no fence. Says he will do $400 but is firm. I am about an hour from Baltimore so I so want to drive that far without be prepared to pay.

Are any of these worth looking at for the asking prices or should I just be patient and sit tight?

I've got a grizzly 17"HD, a 1934 delta 14" and a 16" 50's era walker-turner. The prices are too high on all of them. Sit tight and wait. The jewel will show up. Wait for an old piece of american iron (I know I have the griz got that 10 years ago before I learned about old iron). You should also go watch the bring out your dead forum (classifieds) on the old woodworking tool forum. Nice pieces show up there. That's my two cent's but that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

I'd get the Delta, talk him down to $350. Also, it looks like he has a fence for it and those fences are solid. Later I'd add a larger motor (probably a ¾ HP now) and riser kit, but not worry about that now. The light (often called a retirement light) could be sold off if you don't want it, to recoup some of your funds, kinda expensive little guys, look on the Bay.

The others are copy's of Delta's.

You could sit and wait, but the asking price, for the Delta anyway, isn't to bad. I'd feel better about at $350 though.

Congrats on taking the plunge!
    Last edited by Judson Green; 04-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I live in the same area (DC actually), and am also looking to switch from table saw to band saw.

I just got a used Grizz G0555 (delta 14" clone with 1 HP motor) for $400. Just missed a newer version of the same saw for $375, also in Baltimore. In short, I think you'll find either a better deal or a better saw if you sit tight a few weeks and check Craig's List every day.

Have fun!

Guess I will keep looking. Might even check around DC area. I used to live down there for about 6 years (Reston area). Still have some friends down there and could make a day of it. The new G0555 is $525 + tax and I just don't have that to spend right now. Especially if I want to afford some new blades and maybe a riser block.

I had the RIDGID. They seem to have two types. Very good ones and ones that vibrate. Guess which one I had?

I'd be tempted to save a bit more money to be honest. $400 will get you a brand new saw, but you're looking for a better saw. If the "better saw" runs for say $1000 new, you'd struggle to find a used one in your price range. You may find a much older saw like the Deltas from the 30s-50s, but that's a different proposition to something say 0-20 years old.

Just my 2c. I sold the Ridgid and bought a Grizzly 513.

Just got a response form a guy I emailed a couple of days ago. Old Delta saw which he is asking $400 for. I asked him if would be willing to go any lower (still waiting the answer). Looks pretty heavy duty. I wonder if it would take a riser block.
    Can't seem to get the pics he sent me to load but it look exactly like this one.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=9189

The Delta would take a riser block. Riser kits have a lot more than just blocks since they include a longer rear blade channel, longer guide post and front blade cover extensions. At some time Delta switched from a Hex shaped guide bar to a round guide bar, so that needs to be taken into consideration when looking for one. Those saws are solid. The motor may only be 3/4HP and I consider 1HP to be minimum for resawing from experience with mine. Also, the bearings and tires might need to be replaced and would run ~$80 if needed. Price seems a tad high given these considerations, but not out of the realm.
    Dick Mahany.

If ya have time to post them cl saws on here and think about probably not that great a price. Good deals go quick on cl.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
    Just got a response form a guy I emailed a couple of days ago. Old Delta saw which he is asking $400 for. I asked him if would be willing to go any lower (still waiting the answer). Looks pretty heavy duty. I wonder if it would take a riser block.
    Can't seem to get the pics he sent me to load but it look exactly like this one.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=9189
    This one with the cast iron base is cool and gonna be heavy, but considering the price isn't that different from the first one at the top of the thread and that one I would think would include the light (those lights can go for $50+) and a fence (price out a band saw fence & the Delta one is much better, IMO); I'd go for the one at the top of the thread. Also the guy mentioned it was rebuilt and it looks like it was taken care of.

Just my 2¢
    Last edited by Judson Green; 04-03-2014 at 2:06 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Among those three saws, choose the delta. But if you can wait a little bit more, you can find better than that.

The Delta is a good saw. Taken care of it will outlast you. Not sure that could be said about the other two. Price is not that far off. If you can get it for $350 or better I think you are doing all right.

Doug

Oh, and if it were me I would keep the light. It's handy task lighting and will maintain resale value.

Delta would have the better resale value in 30yrs,ridgid bs won't even be a memory by then.Most of the new BS out there is just that NEW nothing else.Keep in mind why the big box stores sell them,cause their cheap.You know the old saying "buy quality once and cry once,buy cheap and cry often".What ever you buy,a good tune-up will go along ways on any BS,so good luck and post pics of what you chose----

I would have a good look at the condition and effectiveness of the guides included.

They're not the most important part of a saw (I would say the blade is most important)
    but they can be a nuisance if they're damaged, bent or misaligned.

$400 for an ancient Delta is steep, given that motors like these
    are likely contaminated by dust over the years.

My guess is that the seller thinks it's some kind of collector's item.

Beware - replacement motors are hideously expensive.

Kevin
    As other have said go with the Delta. That model has been around for years lot of parts out there just check to see if it is single phase. And $400 is not bad if its 1 or 1 1/2 HP if more even better. Tom