Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a book available to help you with technique operating a sliding table saw?

Is there a book available to help you with technique operating a sliding table saw?

My new Hammer slider was delivered last week, and I have it set up and powered, now I need some technique. I did cut a few pieces to glue up for solid wood end panels, and it is very cool to just cut a board and find it ready to glue up a panel, but getting the edges parallel would be nice. Does a book exist that would help you get the most out of your sliding table saw? By the way, I bought a 12" Tenryu rip blade, and the pieces just zinged through the saw. Very smooth. I think I am going to enjoy the saw very much, just have no experience with sliders. Used a table saw in junior high school, but this thing is very different.

Jim,

If you Google the SoloWoodworker, Charlie provides some information, and he references a German Fritz and Franz (I think it is called) U-Tube video.

A search of this forum and woodweb.com for threads on the subject will be helpful, and you may want to join the Felder owner's group on Yahoo as well. I have been working with a full scale slider for years, and I still find new tips and techniques from these sources. "Fritz und Frans" is a particularly good one. Two clamps that engage the sliding table groove are very helpful, as well as a temporary 1/4" panel carpet taped to the carriage for a zero clearance guideline for odd angles, taper cuts, etc. Add a top platen and some parallel pencil lines and you have a veneer jointer. Pull the rip fence fence back before the blade, and it serves as a crosscut stop or a rip gauge that won't ever trap the workpiece between fence and blade. Find a shop with a slider in your area and see if they will let you watch how they use it. You can use a slider like a tablesaw, but you can do a lot more things and more safely.

4. Congrats on the new saw.

the best tip I could give is to start thinking about working to the left side of the blade. That may not make sense right now, but just keep it in mind when you're planning your cuts and processes.

David P Best

The Unofficial Survival Guide

Description: An owners guide to installation, alignment and use of Felder sliding table saws and shapers.
    Synopsis:
    This manual is intended to assist current and potential owners of Felder sliding table equipment in several ways. If you are an expectant Felder owner, this manual can help you specify, plan for and deal with equipment delivery and electrical service needs. New users can be on the same page with the Felder technician during commissioning, and insure the equipment is properly calibrated and aligned. If you are inclined to install and calibrate the equipment yourself, this is an insider's look at how it is done, and done right the first time. Existing users will find this a valuable resource in maintaining alignment and performance of their equipment. This manual is titled a Survival Guide precisely because it includes most of the information needed for users of this Felder equipment to become self-reliant in the setup, service and use. The contents are generally applicable to the following equipment: Felder K700 Saw, F700 Shaper, KF700 Saw/Shaper Combination Machine, 900-Series Saw, Format-4 kappa 30 and kappa 40 Saws. This manual is organized in a tutorial fashion. It contains step-by-step illustrated guides to most of the assembly and alignment chores a user will likely face. However, it stops short of trying to assist the user in serious overhaul or faulty mechanical parts replacement. In spite of the tutorial nature of the materials, it is organized with the goal of also being an effective reference resource. For instance, the final section contains an extensive index, and the manual is organized in a manner that progresses from delivery planning to basic assembly and alignment verification, with the more advanced topics dealing with complex calibration methods in the back sections. There are several Appendix sections provided primarily as reference, including a trouble-shooting guide and the Commissioning Checklist.
    Book Details:

• Paperback: 286 pages
    • Binding: Wire-O
    • Publisher: Cafe Press
    • Product Number: 14337605
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

6. It doesn't tell you how to use the saw.

The best video by far that i have seen is the 'Fritz und Franz" sliding table saw safety and work help video produced by a German vocational organization for woodworkers. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzVglze9Nk

There are a few other, but not many, youtube videos that show people using sliding saws, but I can't guarantee they are using proper technique. i have watched a few and picked up some info.

I ordered the shoe and clamp for the sliding table. The clamp is missing the "donut" that fits the groove, so am waiting for shipment of that. I used my Kreg clamp with a piece of 1/2" plexiglas I cut to fit the groove to clamp the pieces down. The automatic adjust feature works very well with different thickness boards. Was surprised at how well the tiny 2" hose on above blade dust collection grabbed the narrow strips cut off the edge. The saw came with a extra solid wood insert for the table, might help with cutoffs grabbing in the slot around the blade. Guess I'd have to take the riving knife off and cut that slot separately. That book looks very good for future adjustments, thanks Mike, and will look for the Utube videos, thanks for the link, Craig.

Just watched the video, pretty good technique, but would have been much better in English. And that push stick with the plastic edge, pretty cool.

How long did it take for you to get your saw once you placed your order?

Felder has a sales video where a cabinet maker uses a combo to make a walnut desk, lots of good techniques to watch there. It's not a step by step instruction video but not so hard to fill in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I ordered the shoe and clamp for the sliding table. The clamp is missing the "donut" that fits the groove, so am waiting for shipment of that. I used my Kreg clamp with a piece of 1/2" plexiglas I cut to fit the groove to clamp the pieces down. The automatic adjust feature works very well with different thickness boards. Was surprised at how well the tiny 2" hose on above blade dust collection grabbed the narrow strips cut off the edge. The saw came with a extra solid wood insert for the table, might help with cutoffs grabbing in the slot around the blade. Guess I'd have to take the riving knife off and cut that slot separately. That book looks very good for future adjustments, thanks Mike, and will look for the Utube videos, thanks for the link, Craig.
    Hi Jim, I own a B3 Winner.

The extra table insert is for use with your dado cutter.

Have you watched the Felder video on the CF741 on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV8A3XK3R0I

Regards, Rod.

I ordered the saw in December, received it before the first of April, so not bad. Most of the posts I've read said 4 months. Felder shipped it on YRC, which is Yellow Roadway, a Roadway truck delivered it. Not a scratch on the wrapping. The truck driver was very careful and polite. Now I see why they like Roadway. Thanks for the link, Rod. It is a LONG video!

There is definitely a lack of information when it comes to using sliders and I am surprised that the manufacturers have not addressed it. I looked at the Felder group and found that it is not user friendly in concept either. Why it can't be forum based is a question that needs asking as I am sure it would encourage a lot more participation.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

There is definitely a learning curve. I still rip most of the time the same way I did with a cabinet saw using the fence. I did fabricate a parallel cutting setup out of aluminum and I use that when I want a perfect edge. Clamps are key on the slider. I started with the Felder clamp but I found that it caused the wood to shift when I clamped so I made air clamps. There are quite a few videos on YouTube. That and the Felder Owners Group forum is a great place to get answers...joe