Thread: Lumber price check: Is this good?

Lumber price check: Is this good?

My hardwood lumber supplier just got back from his vacation (winter vacation ) , and I got this year's pricelist . So, how do these prices compare to other sawmills? All lumber is in the rough and air-dried 4 plus years.

HARD MAPLE $1.50

SOFT MAPLE $0.80

PINE $ 0.50

CHERRY $3.00 GOOD WITH MOST ALL RED

.80 FOR LOWER GRADE

POPLAR 0.80 CLEAR . 0.50 KNOTTY

BASSWOOD 0.70

All lumber is 4/4 except for the pine and some poplar he has some 8/4 in stock same price.

thanks,

Low...very low...compared to most places, but comparable to the guy I often buy from locally for air-dried material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey I am a a scrounger and even my guy is not that quite that low. I am not asking for souces, but just wonder where he is located. I assume in upstate NY

does he have a minimum for those prices and does he offer "log run" or do those prices indicate "skimming"
    lou

Only saws about once or twice a year, just to keep in compliance with the zoning code. No minimum. Skimming ? Don't know what you mean .

Those prices sound dirt cheap to me. I bought some oak for 1.70 and poplar
    for 1.30, and thought that I got a good price. Course it was delivered. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    Only saws about once or twice a year, just to keep in compliance with the zoning code. No minimum. Skimming ? Don't know what you mean .
    skimming is when you take the one or two really great boards that a log will usually give you and put in your private stash. Either way, it looks like you have found a good source for wood. I have a guy in pa that I deal with on a once a year basis. basically I come with money and a flat bed and take back 4000 lbs of wood each time. Who knows what I will do with it all, but I keep buying because he keeps selling.

That's better than I can do...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I know he still has one Cherry plank left that he was saving for me. That one measures 17.5 " wide x 8 feet long by 4" thick

Aaaarrgh! Why do these super deals never exist near me?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Hi Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    Aaaarrgh! Why do these super deals never exist near me?
    They're found in the same places as BIG snowbanks, and I suspect Gainesville is as deficient in snowbanks as it is in cheap hardwood. I lived in Trenton FL for a year back in the late '70's

Curt

Kent;

I read in a woodworking magazine a few years back (think is was WOOD MAGAZINE, or Popular Woodworking), about a sawmiller in Florida that got himself a portable sawmill and was sawing up the trees that had fallen down during the hurricaines. Do you know if they still do that? I read in the article that they were sawing up Cuban Mahoganey (SP?) trees for the lumber.