Thread: First in a While

First in a While

Fell off a ladder before Thanksgiving and broke a few ribs. This is my first piece since then. It is Box Elder burl that I thought I would spice up with some dye. I started with a strong mix of red transtint and water to cover the few flame areas with a fine brush. Then I added more water to the mix and used a soldering acid brush to stipple over all the burl eyes and a few of the streaky areas on the rim. Then I added some more water and a few drops of blue transtint to the mix and washed over the whole piece with the now light purple mixture. I noticed that certain areas picked up more of the blue color from the purple so I dumped out about 2/3 of the mix and added more blue to create a darker purple. I used this to enhance the areas that were picking up the blue. Several coats of wipe on poly and Beall buffed. 11" x 2 3/4". Comments and criticisms please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

like the wood, really like your technique with the dye, very nice

I really love what the dye does to the colour of the burl piece. Very nice form too in my humble opinion. Very well done!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

I like the form, Toby. Interesting process and a good result. I especially like the details, the little ridge at the rim and the step in the ogee. It's a lot thinner than it looks in the top view. Nice work. Thank for posting.

I fell stepping onto a 7' porch roof a couple summers ago. Multiple compression fractures, but no ribs. I sympathize. Hope you heal completely and soon.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Toby sorry about the accident hope everything comes out ok. Don't know about you but I'd say that is a very beautiful bowl,I love the shape and the dye job is beautiful also.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Toby, what a great turning. You did a wonderful job on the detail on the bowl. My thoughts and comments are just like Doug's.

I too have fallen off a few ladders these past few years and the wife has told me that I can no longer allowed to get up on one. Most of the time, I follow her direction on this, but there are still times I need to use the step ladder around the house. I've learned my limits and am much smarter now. Good luck on your recovery. I would say your turning shows that you didn't forget anything concerning turning during your absence.
    Keep up the great work.
    Steve

You've done everything I like in a bowl. Great us of the wood, great use of dyes, and the bead work is placed in just the right places. I love it all. Thanks for making my day.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice with the bead at the rim of the bowl section and flat outer. That must have been a little tricky, and also the treatment underneath. It definitely would stand out in a mix of displayed items.

That fall didn't do any damage to your turning skills Toby, very nice turning and the coloring did really give it an exotic look, thanks for showing
    Have fun and take care

Thanks everyone. I am feeling better, probably 80% back now. Still finishing the transfer of my work space from basement to renovated pole-building/garage. I will post more pieces as I get them finished.

I am in awe!That's totally a beautiful wood! Nicely turned. You did a great job.

Beautiful form, and nice detail on the ridge under the rim. The dye job is excellent, great use of color to accent the figure of the burl. Well done.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome