Thread: Dye-Sublimation Quarter Inch Corian

Dye-Sublimation Quarter Inch Corian

I recently started doing dye-sublimation again and had an opportunity to try sublimating a piece of 1/4" thick Corian. Sometime in the past someone asked me if I had sublimated 1/4" Corian and what temp and time I used. In my first attempt a couple days ago I used 320 degrees F at 12 minutes. You can see the result is the first picture below.

I'm pleased with the results but I think I may be able to lower the time to ten minutes which is what I will do on my next attempt. I need to keep reducing the time until I find the saturation point where the Corian gets soft.

The second picture shows my new band saw sliding table I recently built, one of the tasks for this new slider is cutting Corian plaques to size after sublimating them. Since I can't use heat tape to secure the paper to the Corian I often have to trim the finished plaque to get is centered if it moves when placed in the press.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith,
    I have used spray adhesive on Corian and it works really well. You just need a low-tack adhesive, I use Krylon. Spray a very light coat, the surface should just be "misted" with adhesive, nowhere near covered. The adhesive soaks into the transfer paper and nothing remains on the Corian. I use this for aluminum and fabric as well.

Gary

Gary
    I have used the Conde adhesive on the transfer paper but it left spots on the image. I'll give the Krylon a try.
    Thanks,
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I too had problems with the Conde version.... I may have gone too thick.... Left a film on aluminum... but it could have been glue from the clear masking I removed. It was 2007 Stock and I did find that when I cut it that the edge of white fractured off as if it was dry leaving a metal line a 1/16th wide along the cut. I too will try the Krylon.

I still like using heat tape with the cutter machne.

Thanks,

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".