Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Do You Purchase at Harbor Freight?

For those of you that buy a HF tool for a single job for less than rental fees, consider this. I purchased a made in USA flooring nailer that is respected by flooring professionals used on eBay for $250. I used it to casually install about 500 sq. ft. of new red oak flooring of the course of a few weeks and it ran like the champ it was. When the job was done I turned around and sold it for .... $250. That's cheaper than a HF flooring nailer and I got to use a quality tool for free instead of fighting with cheap junk. Won't work for every tool and job, but consider it for those truly one time use tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    For those of you that buy a HF tool for a single job for less than rental fees, consider this. I purchased a made in USA flooring nailer that is respected by flooring professionals used on eBay for $250. I used it to casually install about 500 sq. ft. of new red oak flooring of the course of a few weeks and it ran like the champ it was. When the job was done I turned around and sold it for .... $250. That's cheaper than a HF flooring nailer and I got to use a quality tool for free instead of fighting with cheap junk. Won't work for every tool and job, but consider it for those truly one time use tools.
    Steve, that worked out, for sure, but now you don't have a flooring nailer. Granted, that's such a specialty tool that you may never need one again.

I was talking with the manager of a local HF a couple of weeks ago about the pays-for-itself-with-one-use concept. He said it's very frustrating to him that some folks buy the tool, use it for their job, then return it for a refund even though it worked fine! Apparently the HF business model is able to withstand this sorry practice, because they are opening retail stores right and left.

David

As little as possible!

Nothing! Walked into the store a couple of years ago and walked right back out. Fortunately, I live in a town that has a real, old fashioned hardware store that stocks everything I could imagine. I do try to always buy locally.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nitrile gloves, acid brushes, nut and bolt packs when on sale, the Goodyear rubber air hose
    Last edited by Dan Masshardt; 01-12-2014 at 6:48 PM.

Found some decent Japanese flush cut saws there. The oscillating spindle sander they sell appears to be the same as sold under other major brand names at twice the price. 6" ROS sandpaper, and sometimes DeStaCo toggle clamps.

Tarps
    Disposable Brushes
    Casters
    Screws
    Zip Ties

To name a few

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    Quite often, that story goes more like "I spent 5 hours looking for a good used american tool for a decent price, I bought something, it needed some repairs and the seller refused to make it right, and then I had to fix it and sell it for a little less than I bought it".

I've been on the wrong end of that with all kinds of tools - if you're someone with a conscience and you get a tool that's got trouble the seller didn't describe, then you're really stuck.

New and old tool mix, mostly good reviews

Hi all, new here, first post...but I've learned a lot from reading your forums, so here I am and happy to share.
    I just cleaned up a used Central Machinery Benchtop 5-speed Drill Press S-987 - it's a tank and doing great. (looking for a manual) Before and after pics
    I also have the compound miter saw (non-sliding) with a Freud blade, cuts like butter. Modified the fence, drill and tapped for sacrificial melamine and clamp room.
    Metric and standard combo wrenches, owned for years, never once a problem working on tools and cars.
    Rotary tool - bought for one job six years ago, the damn thing won't quit on me even though I wanted a dremel!
    Various picks, bench vise, and drill bits - won't waste my time again on those.
    Great for nitrile gloves, safety glasses, face masks, and rags when on sale. Two red tool boxes, solid!
    (sorry, pics sideways from my phone)
    photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

I like their roping gloves, nitrile gloves, acid brushes, big 12 gauge 3 tap extension cords, clamps, the black 3/8" hand drill, angle grinders with cut-off wheels, the little white inverter stick welder, and the auto-tint welding mask.

I'm still on the fence about the 12" sliding miter saw I bought for $140. It works well but it was a PAIN to finally get adjusted. I had to take out the lock washers on the fence to get it to adjust properly hopefully it stays tuned.

The only tool i bought from them that i didn't like is their trim router, that was horrible, just horrible.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

I bought a number of fittings for air lines and h f got the fittings when other stores will run out of stock QUICK

I bought one of the dark blue angle grinders, the two tray / 4 wheel shop cart, a couple furniture dollies, some of the LED flashlights, and expendables - cable ties, nitrille gloves, etc.

The angle grinder runs and runs - I use it for grinding concrete - ie tuck pointing concrete,etc.

Jim

I've found it hit or miss with HF ... but mostly hit.

Had a 4" belt sander I used for years. Replaced it with a 6" belt sander that is 3 years old and has hundreds of hours on it. The belts are great and about $3 each. Set of 5 for $15 ... compared to $20 each at Lowe's.

Large variable speed drill I use for drilling holes in floor lamps. I go to it before my Hole Hawg.

15 gallon compressor that has two years on it. Better than my old Ridgid compressor.

2hp dust collector has been great.

I didn't want to, but started turning and got the 12x33 lathe. I turned about a 100 bowls on it and the vs system broke. Took it back and they replaced the lathe. Have turned a couple hundred bowls with that and upgraded to a 16-24 Nova lathe. Son is using the HF lathe to make wood rings.

Their cheap angle grinders go forever. The floppy discs are good ... and cheap.

Also use epoxy for putting hardware in lamps. Plastic ties are great. Have a pneumatic stapler I use all the time. Have a pneumatic impact tool that have used for years ... but not much ... works good.

One of my sons has a beef and wild game processing operation. He uses the electric winch sp? to lift beef quarters, buffalo and wild game off the pickups of people who bring it in. He has two and a backup. Has never used the back up after 10 years.

Sometimes it is hit or miss with corded items. Have had bad luck with belt sander and electric planer. Had a compressor that pooped out in 2 yrs. but it only cost $79.

Over all, I am hundreds (if not thousands of dollars ahead).