Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new take on a tree for a nursery room...

Smile A new take on a tree for a nursery room...

So my wife is expecting our first child (a little girl - just a couple weeks to go!) and I wanted to do something really nice to decorate her room. We love nature and wanted to incorporate it into the room. I have seen a ton of trees painted on the walls or tree decals and thought I'd come up with something a bit more creative. Here is the result.

3 layers - oak base, walnut and maple for highlights. Leaves were cut out and then I carved the edges a bit and stained them green on one side and "autumn" on the other. They are held in place with bamboo skewers wrapped in florist tape (still need to touch up some of the spots). We can now rotate the leaves to either green (spring/summer) or multicolor for Autumn.

I think this is probably the best thing I've built in a while. I'm already thinking of things I can add to it Next on the list is to create some sort of sun/moon wall hanging on the opposite wall which will display the sun or moon depending on if the light is on or off. When off, it'll have a soft moon glow for a nightlight. I haven't quite worked out the details yet

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Jared
    Jared
    ~~~~~~~

This is one of the best projects that I have found on the forum. An excellent idea and great job making it. I am certain that all will love it.

Very cool. So do you just take the leaves off completely in winter?

Jared,

Outstanding job, I have never seen anything like it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
    Very cool. So do you just take the leaves off completely in winter?
    Good idea
    Jared
    ~~~~~~~

Thanks everyone. I definitely had a good time building it. I hope she'll get many years of enjoyment from it.
    Jared
    ~~~~~~~

Great ideal.....Nice work!

Did you see this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sign-Bookshelf from over in the Design Forum?

Might be neat to put on the opposite side of the room.........
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    Great ideal.....Nice work!

Did you see this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sign-Bookshelf from over in the Design Forum?

Might be neat to put on the opposite side of the room.........
    Very cool! I didn't see that, but when I was researching options initially, I was thinking of something similar. Perhaps that might be a phase 2 project (don't tell my wife )
    Jared
    ~~~~~~~

Cool idea, I like how it came together.

Its interesting how you didn't over do the details but the result really nicely represents the desired look and doesn't loose anything along the way imho. That's a hard line to hit and I think that this is one case where it was really done well, thanks for sharing.

That is wonderful! Your future daughter has a great dad!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You know, with minor changes, that would look good in any room in the house.

Amazingly clever and unique! Love it!
    Stan

very nice and unique. Thank you for showing.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    You know, with minor changes, that would look good in any room in the house.

Amazingly clever and unique! Love it!
    Funny, I told my wife that when she eventually outgrows it (and wants to paint her room black) we can put it in the master bedroom so we can play Tarzan and Jane aga...I mean so we can preserve it
    Jared
    ~~~~~~~

That thing is awesome. I am sure she will love it for a long time and someday possibly use it in the nursery for her own child. I haven't seen anything like this before, and it is giving me some great ideas. I appreciate you sharing this.

Jimmy

Wow. That is very cool!