Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stabilizing Wood?

These are the measurements I took today stabilizing pen blanks in Cactus Juice, again...no affiliation, I just use the stuff and make measurement to insure I'm doing it right.
    Blank 1 - start wt 23g, finish 49g dimensions 7/8 x 7/8 x 4.5
    Blank 2 - 14g, 30g, 3/4 x 13/16 x 2.125
    Blank 3 - 23g, 53g, 7/8 x 7/8 x 4.5
    Blank 4 - 22g, 41g, 13/16 x 3/4 x 4.5

You can see a dramatic gain in weight!!! At least double in all but one blank. I have measured in oz before, but since pen blanks are small, I changed to grams so a difference can be noted. These were all buckeye burl blanks.
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 01-09-2014 at 6:41 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim, for small stuff there are several good stabilizing systems but for large bowls and vases it gets tough. The thinned epoxy does not evaporate. the next day all the mix is hard. One good thing about the thinned epoxy is that it saturates the fibers but does not fill the pores with resin. The wood(after peeling) looks and feels exactly like solid wood. There is no plastic look or feel at all--if this is what you want. By using a vinyl bag you can use a minimum amount of mix by restricting the volume and allows it to soak in for several hours. My experience.

What wood glue was used

thanks louis

Regrading stabilizing wood......Minwax Wood Hardener?

I see it at Home Depot for $10.32/pint which is far less than any other place I've found. I haven't bought yet.

Reading the instructions on the can it's not specific about whether it dries clear suitable for clear topcoat finishes. It only mentions it being ready for Minwax filler when dry.

Any users here?