Thread: Design for ceiling light fixture box

Design for ceiling light fixture box

I'm going to be building a light fixture. 3 sided box, 6"x36", 12 mason jar lights hanging down from bottom of box, crown molding around sides and up against ceiling. Similar to the one here http://shelleytumino.blogspot.com/20...elier.html?m=1. I'm trying to figure out a way to make the 'inside' easily accessible for mounting. Some of the designs I've seen just use toggle bolts or have the mounting hardware visible but I'm not comfortable with that. My thought is to build the box in 2 parts: 2 ends and one long side with the molding attached, 1 long side with the crown molding attached. Grove the first part (2 ends and 1 side) to slide onto the bottom after it's mounted. Kinda like you would do a drawer bottom. Does anyone see any potential issues with this or maybe have a better suggestion? I appreciate all advice as I've never built anything like this.

Your box is only going to have crown molding on three sides? What happens on the fourth side?

Sorry, I guess I'm not good at describing all that's in my head. 1st part will be 2 ends and a long side all attached and crown molding on each side. 2nd part will be 1 long side with crown molding attached. I'm picturing the 1st part just sliding onto the 2nd part to make a complete box.

I see. Will all four sides of the box be visible?

If it works out like I want, you would only see crown molding and the bottom of the box the lights are hung through. It will be in the middle of the room, visible from all sides.
    Last edited by ladonna hilton; 01-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Maybe something along the lines of this? I didn't put any sides on the box in the sketch but those photos show it. If this is right, you could make it somewhat like a drawer and use a couple of sliding rails on the sides. I'll flesh out the sketch to show it.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-08-2014 at 12:57 PM.

That's EXACTLY what I have pictured!

So how about something like this at the end?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-08-2014 at 12:58 PM.

I knew there was a reason I came here! I think that will be just what I end up doing.

Ah, good.

Thank you so much! Luckily, I just have to build the box. I'm the woodworker while the beau is the master electrician.

Good luck. I'd like to see photos of it when you are finished.

LaDonna, I had a thought. If you put a slight slope on the dadoes for the guides, the U-shaped side will slide up as you slide it in. This will allow you to slide it into place without scuffing the ceiling. Or I guess you could put a spacer inbetween the fixed side and the ceiling so there's a slight gap. I would be inclined to use some rare earth magnets to secure the sliding part in place.

That's a good idea. Both of them!