Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help a newbie learn and design a workbench - Lots of pictures

The only issue I would have is that putting the bench in a corner limits the length of material you can support on it. Apart from that if you want to put all the work into the unneccessary joinery it is good practise and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    ...leave them off. Seriously, with 3 layers of mdf, i think you will be fine.
    I'm open to that but how would you attach the top? There are two sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    The only issue I would have is that putting the bench in a corner limits the length of material you can support on it. A
    I agree. Limits of my space, unfortunately. I'll set up saw horses as a temporary bench if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Owens, OH View Post
    I'm open to that but how would you attach the top? There are two sections.
    I would use metal angle brackets like these Simpsons on the inside of the long rails. You can buy 'em at HD / Lowes. Run screws through them to the rails and the top.

WRT the feet, leveling legs are fine but you can get by well without them, maybe even better and certainly less expensively. With leveling feet, your 4x4 legs will essentially be reduced to standing on 3/8 threaded rods (depending on what you buy). Maybe this isn't an issue since you are talking about attaching to the wall. But if you want your benches to stand alone and be sturdy, I would suggest leaving it on the 4x4 posts as that gives you much more of the foot bearing on the floor. Use shims under the whole foot to account for the slope in the floor. Also, I would suggest putting a small chamfer on the edges of the feet. This helps a lot to prevent splintering if you have to drag the table across the floor, and actually puts a little finished touch on the posts. Being in a garage space, water could be a possibility. I would suggest doing something to keep moisture from wicking up the end-grain. maybe using an epoxy on the end-grain of the feet.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    ...Also, I would suggest putting a small chamfer on the edges of the feet. This helps a lot to prevent splintering if you have to drag the table across the floor, and actually puts a little finished touch on the posts. Being in a garage space, water could be a possibility. I would suggest doing something to keep moisture from wicking up the end-grain. maybe using an epoxy on the end-grain of the feet.
    Both very good ideas. Chamfer first for certain, and sealer too, depending on how much moisture you predict might occur. Some people's garage floors sweat a lot more than others too.