Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st timer - Cherry Burl Bowl with leather and turquoise accents

1st timer - Cherry Burl Bowl with leather and turquoise accents

As the title says, this is my first post. I harvested the burl locally and turned a few bowls from it. This Bowl is about 18 1/2" across and a little over 10" tall.
    There was a large inclusion that when turned, it left a hole in the side. The other large cracks I used leather to lace them together to give the illusion that the leather was holding it together. For the smaller cracks I crushed up raw turquoise, mixed it with 5min epoxy.
    I finished it with a few coats of sanding sealer then lacquer.
    Comments and ESPECIALLY criticisms are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to SMC, Drew. You asked for criticisms but it is Hard to find anything to criticize in this one. Beautiful piece. The Turquoise really stands out and the leather adds a uniqueness to the bowl. A winner for sure especially for a piece of this size. Great work!

Hmmmm....how about a picture of the foot! Only criticism I have!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Nice job! No criticisms here.

Welcome Drew. I love it. So many interesting features. I would love to see it up close and stare at it for a long time.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I love it...Period!!!

wouldn't know what to criticize..looks wonderful to me
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Is this what you mean Jim? Thanks for all the compliments! 20140109_145756_1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Hmmmm....how about a picture of the foot! Only criticism I have!

Congrats on taking on a lump of wood that large! I have turned a few pieces of Cherry burl and added turquoise, as the color combination just says....."look at me!". You did just fine on this monster! You did not mention how far you took the sanding. Every piece I have done has been sanded to 2000 grit, and the effort is worth it. If you get another chunk, try taking it to 2000. you will be very pleased with the results.

Hey David! I like big wood...I think we all do! Usually if I can't do it with a 5/8 Bowl gouge I don't turn it. LOL. Just kidding.
    I sanded to 320. I don't usually go any finer than that but maybe I should. My method is usually to sand while still on the lathe, stop the lathe, sand @ a 90 angle to the sanding marks and then increase the grit.
    I'm working on a 30" piece now that's off center, I feel like I need a football helmet on! I'll take this one up to 2000! Thanks for the suggestion

Very nice bowl. I like the accents, especially the the leather lace work. Welcome!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Drew, as others have said, there isn't much to "criticize". Opinions are a different story... I love the leather lacing, though that makes it a bit less utilitarian because to "washability"...but I still love it. The turquoise is a distraction to me. Just a bit too "look at me". Cherry burl, in my opinion, has enough going on and is spectacular in its own right. The turquoise, again in my opinion, takes away from the fact that there is burl, and makes you (me) pay attention to the fact that cracks are filled. I'd opt for something more subtle.

From the pics, form looks good, sanding and finish look good, too. I have to admit that by the pics in your OP, the form looks more like 5" across than 18". The table you took the pics on must be about 3-4" thick! Looking forward to seeing the monster you're turning.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Very nice job on some beautiful stock, to me the leather adds that special touch.

The "table" my niece took the pics on is actually an old church pew dated around 1850 or so. Attached is part of the one I'm working on now...I made my dad get in the pic for scale.IMAG0001.jpg

Holy cow! Now, THAT'S a burl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oak, if I am not mistaken, right? I'm taking a wild stab here, but I'm guessing you've got at least a 30" bar to have taken that burl (and that would require cuts from both sides of the burl). That thing looks to be about 6' in diameter at its widest...maybe even more.
    I drink, therefore I am.