Thread: Too big for the photo tent

Too big for the photo tent

Cut this ash trunk about a 1 1/2 months ago. It had been dead for awhile and was not too wet. Mounted on the lathe with the extension in the lower position and supported with my hydraulic table. Probably weighed about 75 lbs. Turned to finish and let it set for a couple weeks. All the bark was gone so I blow torch the edge and feathered the flame on the front and back surface near the rim. Started by using Behlan colonial yellow on the feather and faded into Behlan's medium walnut outside the feather. Added some black Transtint to the walnut and worked it up to the rim. The chard rim was treated with water super glue to stabilize the chard edge. This was followed by a couple coats of gloss lacquer. Then i apply some dark wax rubbing it into the rim and down into the feathered area. I will spray a couple more coats of lacquer after the wax has cured. As can be seen ash looks a lot better with colors applied. Bowl is 24" across and about 1/2" at the rim and 3/4" at the base. Comments, critiques, suggestion and questions always welcome.

IMG_5765.jpgIMG_5771.jpgIMG_5772.jpgIMG_5777.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

2. Cool! Always fun when you make the piece too big for the tent. I like the finishing technique you used.

On another note. Is that an LED bulb you have in the lamp at your lathe? If so how do you like it? I'm in desperate need to setting up some task lighting for my lathe. I keep taking a piece inside and finding spots that need more work it gets frustrating...

Thanks for sharing!
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Poorman View Post
    Cool! Always fun when you make the piece too big for the tent. I like the finishing technique you used.

On another note. Is that an LED bulb you have in the lamp at your lathe? If so how do you like it? I'm in desperate need to setting up some task lighting for my lathe. I keep taking a piece inside and finding spots that need more work it gets frustrating...

Thanks for sharing!
    yes it is a led. It is the second one. The first was too heavy and made the work light droop. Some can have quite a bit of weight. I use more and more LEDs in the shop. I really like the lack of heat with all the curlies and sanding dust. Also prefer the visually warmer ones. Takes for the comments.

That's a beautiful piece!

I instantly think "guitar body" when I see it.

that is bigger than a chair seat! yikes!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Definitely a piece of art and super finish.

That's a beauty. A BIG beauty. You did a great job with the colors and the color transition to the rim. The feather really popped with the colors you added. Fortifying with CA glue is also a great idea. I have a piece that I charred and was unsure what to do next with finishing.

By "water super glue", do you mean the thin? Or, is that something different?

Is the piece on a vacuum chuck in the pic?

I'm not familiar with "dark wax". Can you elaborate?

Very nice piece. I keep wanting to turn something off the bed on my Powermatic but had not considered something in that shape but was considering a 30"+ platter style. Need to keep my options open when looking at some of the larger wood finds. What did you use for chucking the piece to turn and to hole to finish the bottom after turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    That's a beauty. A BIG beauty. You did a great job with the colors and the color transition to the rim. The feather really popped with the colors you added. Fortifying with CA glue is also a great idea. I have a piece that I charred and was unsure what to do next with finishing.

By "water super glue", do you mean the thin? Or, is that something different?

Is the piece on a vacuum chuck in the pic?

I'm not familiar with "dark wax". Can you elaborate?
    Yes I used Titebond thin super glue and painted it on with a small paint brush. I made a vacuum chuck from a piece of solid core door and a two gallon plastic paint bucket when I turned the tenon off the bottom. The inside was turned using a Stronghold chuck with #4 jaws. The wax is Johnson paste wax with black carbon powder mixed into it the powder is a Pearl Ex product. I mix many powders into wax to apply it into the pores. Once cured, lacquer adheres with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Very nice piece. I keep wanting to turn something off the bed on my Powermatic but had not considered something in that shape but was considering a 30"+ platter style. Need to keep my options open when looking at some of the larger wood finds. What did you use for chucking the piece to turn and to hole to finish the bottom after turning?
    I used a Stronghold chuck with #4 jaws. A 10"vacuum chuck held it to turn the tenon off. You might want to work your way up to that30" platter. Vibration becomes exponential after about 20". The turning becomes a large base drum.

Beautifully outrageous.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Yes I used Titebond thin super glue and painted it on with a small paint brush. I made a vacuum chuck from a piece of solid core door and a two gallon plastic paint bucket when I turned the tenon off the bottom. The inside was turned using a Stronghold chuck with #4 jaws. The wax is Johnson paste wax with black carbon powder mixed into it the powder is a Pearl Ex product. I mix many powders into wax to apply it into the pores. Once cured, lacquer adheres with no problems.

Thanks for the info, Bob

Here is some pics of the blank. I have another half, but may just turn it round. In retrospect I think I should have leveled my lathe after moving it off the wall to use the lowered bed. The basement floor has some slope and I think one of the levelers may not have been in full contact with the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beautiful piece Bob. I'll turn the other half the same way....it just looks cooler than round.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Beautiful work. Time for a larger photo tent....they must be like a garage.... you can never have one too big.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author