Thread: A Question about a scraper plane, and a few other pics.

A Question about a scraper plane, and a few other pics.

I've buying cheap secondhand tools as I saw them for the past 20 years, and never really used any of them.

But I've been reading recently about hand tools and thought I would like to learn a little bit more. The saw vice and the two Disston saws were the latest acquisition, the planes has been bought here and there, the number 4 on the box is unused.

I dug out the lot now to see what I have got, and took pictures.

And a question about the no 112 scraper plane:

I got it like this, and the studs that the mounting thingy should be mounted on is missing, and I have no idea what they should look like. There are no threads in the holes, and even google doesn't know (Or I don't know what to ask google.) Any help would be appreciated.

Skawe.jpgskawe 2.jpg

Sae.jpgscraper plane.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like an impressive start to a shavin' makin' arsenal you have got there.

For all planes Stanley my first stop is Patrick's Blood & Gore:

http://www.supertool.com/

Is the main entrance. After the intro and such you may want to bookmark the pages of your choice.

For your question on how the #112 should look when properly assembled:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num112

The brass adjusters allow for adjustment of the angle of contact between the working surface and the scraper.

There will be a lot of jealous people looking at that plane. It is gloat worthy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You are missing the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Jacques Malan' View Post

And a question about the no 112 scraper plane:

I got it like this, and the studs that the mounting thingy should be mounted on is missing, and I have no idea what they should look like. There are no threads in the holes, ...
    Here is a photo of the front plate disassembled (I needed to get it apart to decrust it). The pins you missing one of are pointy studs with ridges down half their length that bite into the body as they are pressed in and sit flush with the body, so they are close to invisible. They also seem impossible to remove without destroying them.

I have drilled and tapped those pivot studs and then used a short screw and stacked washers to pull the out by using a nut on top to extract them, that way they are reusable.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Jacques, That scraper you pictured is a Stanley #112. It does NOT use screws to attach the pivoting mechanism to the main body. Find some steel pins of the correct diameter and tap them in. Find a side profile picture of a Stanley #112 and you'll see where the pins were inserted then ground flush. The picture Steve shows is of a Sargent/Ohio/Keen Kutter or similar scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    You are missing the screws.

Is that a Sargent?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    Is that a Sargent?
    Good eyes Mel, yes it is a Sargent #57 . I assumed the screws were the same on a Stanley, apparently not.

Depending on your access to metal, sometimes the easiest precision pins to pick up are the shanks of drill bits one may have lying around. They are hard and precisely ground. They can be cut with a dremel cut-off or larger, or on a grinding wheel, or maybe with some carbide saw such as are sold for tile (not table saws).

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick Gentry View Post
    Depending on your access to metal, sometimes the easiest precision pins to pick up are the shanks of drill bits one may have lying around. They are hard and precisely ground. They can be cut with a dremel cut-off or larger, or on a grinding wheel, or maybe with some carbide saw such as are sold for tile (not table saws).
    If you use drill shanks, they will be a bi*** to remove later if the need arises.

Thanks for all the replies, it helped a lot

I've had a good look at it again, and I think making and inserting some brass pins will be the easiest. It doesn't have to support too much stress, and it will be easy to remove once somebody want to do a restoration. Apparently the plane is valuable.

I did spend a lot of time on Blood and Gore, checking out everything and now I know more about Stanley planes than I need to know.