Thread: 3/4" paper backed plywood and paint?

3/4" paper backed plywood and paint?

I got job to make some office cubical type shelfing. Going to use 3/4" birch plywood and paint white. Got the plywood delivered and the plywood is paper backed. Since both sides will be visible wondering if anyone had good results with painting the paper side and looked ok???

Paper backing or MDO?

MDO is a great substrate for paint
    Carpe Lignum

Sounds like sign board, but usually the stuff I get has paper on both sides. I usually use one of those 3 or 4" foam "weenie rollers" and get slick as glass results.
    Tony

MDO is mostly Douglas fir ,are you sure the wood side is birch ? Never see any material like what you described.

MDO is available with paper on one or both sides, just depends how you order it. The paper sided stuff is often referred to as sign board and paints beautifully. The other side I have no clue.

John

It's paper back with plywood core. The 1/4" plywood bought came same way.

MDO is a plywood core with a resin impregnated overlay: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_density_overlay_panel

The thinnest it's made is 5/16", AFAIK, so if your 1/4" stuff looks the same as the 3/4" stuff, who knows what you have.

John

Think I will just use the paper backed birch for areas where only the birch side will be showing and save rest for my kitchen that will be building later this year. seams that when ever stores find ways to save money they never pass savings on to the customers.