Thread: Help I'm a moron

Help I'm a moron

So I'm finally using my new nova dvr. I screwed on a face plate and now I can't get it off. Which direction do I need to turn it???? I was turning it clockwise (reverse) while holding the hand break (because I'm not supposed to use the spindle lock for that), but that was just unthreading the hand brake. So I tried counterclockwise but that didn't work.... And I can't remember the right direction and don't want to keep making it tighter... Help!
    Not allowed

I have 3 lathes and all of them unscrew a faceplate counterclockwise.................Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

An easy way to remember which direction is that faceplates are designed to tighten when the spindle rotates in the normal turning direction (as are scroll chucks). Since the spindle turns counter clockwise when viewed from the work side in the normal or forward direction, the faceplate will tighten if turned clockwise. Check to make sure there is not a set screw holding the faceplate to the spindle. On my Jet, there was and I messed the threads up a little the first time I tried to remove my faceplate.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-11-2014 at 7:48 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

+1 on checking for setscrew.......you should change to normal operation from reverse.....

Thanks, I got it. I had taken the set screw out so I knew that wasn't the issue but I had to really torque on the face plate to get it off, I just needed the confidence that all that torque was going to unthreaded the plate and not break something!

I guess I can also remember that if the hand break is coming unthreaded - I'm turning the wrong way.

Thanks!!
    Not allowed

lefty loosey righty tighty

I do find routinely waxing the drive threads and using the vinyl ring in front of the face plate a help with this problem.

You can easily make a thin plastic washer from a plastic milk jug that can be placed between your faceplate/chuck to keep it from overtightening. At first it it sounded like a good idea when I read about making one, but I had a chuck start to unscrew once when sanding in reverse since I didn't tighten the set screw. I no longer use it for that reason, but I know some who do.
    Dick Mahany.